Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Problems with Windows Scaling (e.g. "200%") when using a high resolution (4K) screen.

Hello

I have just installed Xara Designer Pro X10 on a new Windows 10 x64 PC, running a 27" monitor at 4K resolution (3840 × 2160 pixels)
    I order to have the text in most applications large enough to read, I have had to set the Window Scaling (DPI) to 200%.

However I have just realised that almost the entire interface is slightly blurred.
    Every bit of text in the Xara menus is blurred.
    I am creating shape that are a whole number of pixels, and located at a whole number of pixels. So a screenshot should not of the Xara UI should not be blurred.
    At 100% zoom in Xara the shapes seem reasonable but ALL the text in my document is quite badly blurred.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	delme-XARA.gif 
Views:	251 
Size:	5.9 KB 
ID:	116277

My screen is running at native resolution and is absolutely sharp for example looking at this text in a browser. Here is a part of a screenshot to make the point:

Name:	delme-XARA2.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	116278

Is there any plans to make Xara render text better when Windows is "scaled"?

With thanks

J

Default Re: Problems with Windows Scaling (e.g. "200%") when using a high resolution (4K) scr

I have put your almost identical Thread in the web design forum into moderation to avoid the splitting of replies across two forums to no real benefit. The moderated Thread had no direct relevance to web design.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Problems with Windows Scaling (e.g. "200%") when using a high resolution (4K) scr

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I have put your almost identical Thread in the web design forum into moderation to avoid the splitting of replies across two forums to no real benefit. The moderated Thread had no direct relevance to web design.

Acorn
    Sorry I don't understand any of that. Why are we talking about web design? Where is this forum?
    Cheers
    J

does post #11 in this thread help ? https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...097#post569097

[making of fist probably optional ]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by shiphen View Post
    Sorry I don't understand any of that. Why are we talking about web design? Where is this forum?
    Cheers
    J
    Well you posted this Thread: Windows 10 Scaling causes blurring of the UI and of the document being viewed in https://www.talkgraphics.com/forumdi...eb-design-chat 25 minutes after this one.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi shiphen, I can definitely empathise with you on this issue.

From past investigations into changing Windows scaling, I have not yet found a satisfactory answer for this problem. Basically Xara Designer is not Windows scaling aware and only supports 100% scaling. This is also evident when you just increase the system text size, as it then doesn’t fit properly. I currently have my Windows 10 laptop set at 125% and just live with this.

Name:	text-not-fitting.png 
Views:	179 
Size:	2.9 KB 
ID:	116315 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	text-not-fitting-2.png 
Views:	187 
Size:	4.1 KB 
ID:	116316

I'm not super technically minded on these things so it'll be great if someone has the solution.

Not the answer, but I was pleased to see Affinity Designer’s user interface is, to a certain extent, Windows scaling aware, which is great for my tired old eyes.

This is from their system requirements:

Monitor resolution
    1024 x 768 (at 100% scaling)
    1280 x 960 (at 125% scaling)
    1600 x 1024 (at 150% scaling)
    1920 x 1440 (at 200% scaling)

BTW, for what it's worth in the past I've requested for scaling awareness in the 'Dear Xara' forum, but... well, you know the result of that!
    Last edited by Jonopen; 23 February 2017 at 10:33 AM.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

I have a Surface Book running at native 3000x2000 resolution with a scaling of 200%. In both Xra Designer Pro X11 and Designer Pro x365, the scaling seems to work fine. In 10, I saw these issues as well - one of which was the pronounced when dragging items from the Button Pallet to the left sidebar - where the icons in their hovering dragged state were nowhere near where they would end up when dropped. It came out in other areas as well.

In x365 and DP11, neither of these are an issue here at the 200% scale. So, it seems that this is one of the things that was resolved in the newer versions that was not in 10. Can you check the new version demo to see if it fixes it for you?

I have this same issue with my mobile site.
    I am watching this thread for answer..........

I downloaded the newest copy and it fixed the scaling problem but added a ton more
    Now I can not edit my widgets I already have on the pages or buttons with out forking over more money
    what a crock of BS

Hello

Is there a fix for this scaling problem yet?

Background:
    - I am trialling Xara Xara Designer Pro X ("12.6.2.49603 DL x64 Apr 25 2017")
    - I have a 4K screeen that I am running at "200%" scaling at the Windows (v10, x64) level.

It seems that my choices are:

1) by default, everything is slightly blurred. i.e. All the text boxes in the application AND the Xara file itself, everything is blurred (pixelated)

2) Tick "Override high scaling DPI behaviour. Scaling performed by:" Application
    ==> This makes Xara file sharp, but the text boxes in the Xara application itself doesn't fit and is unreadable

3) Tick "Override high scaling DPI behaviour. Scaling performed by:" System
    ==> This makes everything blurred (both the Xara text boxes and the Xara file are blurred)

4) 3) Tick "Override high scaling DPI behaviour. Scaling performed by:" System (enhanced)
    ==> This makes everything sharp... BUT Xara gets confused about how large objects are and everything starts to break.
    (e.g. if you click on an object to select it, the selection area is 4x the area of the object that is supposed to be selected... i.e. it's all a complete mess.

Is there a fix for this problem yet?

I own a copy of Xara DP v10. And I certainly won't be upgrading until this problem is fixed.

Cheers

J