Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Joining thousands of lines to whole shapes

Hello, everyone.
    I have imported a file from CAD software that has several hundreds of lines that visually create shapes but are disjointed.
    My question: is there a fast way to select lines that represent a face and join them so that they can be filled?
    Please see the attached sketch for a better explanation.

Every file has hundreds of lines and joining them one by one is not an option.
    I'd prefer to select all the lines of a face, somehow join them, fill the shape, go to next shape etc.
    Any help appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example-delete.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	116257

Default Re: Joining thousands of lines to whole shapes

The short answer is no. It rather depends on the complexity of the shapes as to whether it is quicker to redraw them from scratch, or joining each shape to the next individually, which can be quite fiddly. I'm assuming that the example you have posted is not what you actually want to join, as that would be a simple task.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Bob - it's worth the OP trying ivan's old tip for filling un-enclosed shapes, but it comes with a qualification that their may be the odd issue later on depending what you do

to try: - manually join one of the unenclosed shapes and fill - select this and all of the other unenclosed lines - then press control+J

no guarantees... use a duplicate file to test
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

just done a quick test and I rather think there may be issues with the filling if there are several gaps

me i'd use illustrator, or inkscape maybe, both of which have gap tolerant filling which xara does not; but even then, the more gaps, the more fiddly it may become
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Why not lock your CAD layer, make a new layer, then trace over your shape as it is at the most 6 control points it will only take seconds to do F4 (Shape Editor Tool).
    Design is thinking made visual.

Here's a method that works well for fairly straight forward lined drawings but how well it could be done from a cad file with 100's of lines, without the original file, I couldn't say. I doubt it's up to it, but worth a try

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Yes! That's it, it works. Thank you very much Mr Egg Bramhill and thanks for the elaborate video!

@iamtheblues Yes the shapes are more complex. Thanks for the reply.

@Albacore that would be like recreating the entire CAD drawing not an option. Thanks for the reply.

@handrawn Didn't know how to do it in inkscape but thanks for the pointer.