Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Gold Color Foil Printing

When I worked in a graphic biz. we used a print firm based in Glasgow and they had 2 different approaches to applying foils to a material. They produced the metal die's which were placed into a pneumatic stamping machine which used pressure and heat to bond the the foil onto the material. This type of production was nearly always used for the larger quantities of printed materials. Things like biz. cards for say around the 2000 or less the used a foil fuser machine which used a toner/glue to bond the foil onto the material. When using this type of machine we always had to state on the PDF which we sent that a certain colour was to be foil. I normally used pink for this but it had to be a flooded area of colour not just a closed line. I did a batch about a year ago using the hot foil machine and the company had reduced the price of the die down, really hugely, as they were using 3D printer to make the die's which laid down aluminium oxide to make the die. I did hear at the same time that the foil could have a gradient applied to the foil before it was stamped but that was too expensive for me so I don't know how they apply it.

I would always talk to the print house when I was getting these things done, as everyone knows things change so quickly these days, and they will tell you what process they use and how they want the PDF to look
    Design is thinking made visual.

Thank you @Albacore for the clarification. Yes, I could ask my printer. But I leave it to my client. He can explain all the issues with your printer. They have already printed such labels.

I got one template of previous product. One page with white separation what they call "knock-outs" for all areas that are to be printed in metallic. And a regular file, where silver objects are marked with white(paper color or silver foil) and gold this yellow.

It looks like this: http://www.foiltekprinting.com/file-setup/

So my question was about the possibility of gold color control. How combined color with foil. Becomes the color darker or lighter after print?.. for example.

The job I did a year ago I went up to the print shop to get the full details and when I was there they showed me another job that they were doing which they used gradients on the foil. The job that they were doing had to make an embossed lettering look very 3D'ish. This 3D effect made the price of the job go up taking it far beyond the realms that I wanted to spend as I had given a fixed price for the cards. The gold foil is just a base metal which has been sprayed with the gold look. I think you could get the card printed using your gradient using CMYK and then apply the foil with allowance of 2 pixels for knockout which in my case this was done by the print house when making the die.
    Design is thinking made visual.

This case is very relevant to my experience of being asked to print gold with a client's custom company logo.

I know of a process I don't believe you can create today. Way back in the 1970's or 80's there were no color copiers. However, Mita - purchased by Kyocera came up with colored gold leaf foil that could be sent through the copier with a print or copy and it would melt it to the print on the page. Don't believe me? My father and his partners were one of the first in the business and immortalized one of thier first sales in gold leaf foil, (Not real gold I'm quite certain.)

a 'xerox' photocopier presumably... the heat when fixing the toner melting the 'gold'...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I use to have a printer that was a kind of sublimation printer, and foil colors were included in that. CMYK nor RPG had absolutely nothing to do with the work or the printer. I'd send black only art to the printer, then select a specific foil color: gold, silver, copper, metallic blue, pink or green as "ink cartridges" for that sublimator. You can only print one foil at a time, so the color chosen is the one you stick in the printer, not anything that the file can tell the printer what to print. Granted you might be using a completely different printer that works differently, but I'd think it were using foils for colors, these are solid color choices specific to foils, having nothing to do with CMYK color mixes. There were also CMYK foils, so you could print color mixes, but that file is separate from solid foil colors like gold or metallic blue.

Memories...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201229_101428.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	128583

I got some four-part carbon copy paper somewhere, probably in a draw with the letraset halftone... and the ultramarine blue
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

In the mid 60's I was a cadet on a passenger/cargo ship running from Europe to South Africa & Mozambique. We only had type-writers. Each evening the 'Writer' had the job of typing out the next days menu. The date was printed out in gold. I can remember watching as each of probably 12 copies were typed out and then the writer would overlay the freshly typed date text with gold leaf. I don't know if the type-writer had special 'sized' ink ribbon to allow the gold leaf to adhere, too long in the tooth now to remember now.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host