Hi,

Task: the label with gold elements.
    Print method: CMYK knockout with foil fill

Foil is silver. What CMYK values are necessary to get the gold? 24k

Who has a similar experience? Please.

While I chose this color 5%-10%-70%-0%.

Thanks!

Default Re: Gold Color Foil Printing

Is this foil hot stamp? In which case can't you just specify a gold foil?

I think it should be multicolor overprinting on silver foil.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalphaser View Post
    I think it should be multicolor overprinting on silver foil.
    Nothing is going to print on the foil So what exactly do you mean?

Also, silver foil (the reflective/luminescence qualities of it) is going to have a healthy contrast to CMYK unless on good quality hi-gloss paper. Have you or the client considered using a Pantone for the gold?

In any case, the last CMYK print I did it was decided to go with 22 / 40 / 100 / 5 for the values. But there are so many gold mixes, it really is a near subjective choice.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Have you or the client considered using a Pantone for the gold?
    Ha. It's always difficult with the client. I have been asking them to consult in a printing house what they want. Patience and relax.

In any case, the last CMYK print I did it was decided to go with 22 / 40 / 100 / 5 for the values. But there are so many gold mixes, it really is a near subjective choice.
    Basically, I thought so. Ideally I would like to get to the background color. If possible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	overprint.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	116214

Thank you for the info.

Mike and digitalphaser - Printers have special foils, all the metalic colors, white, black and multicolor which they apply with a special device. I have never heard of this as part of the CMYK printing process and I have done a fair amount of this process in the past.

http://www.printingforless.com/Hot-Foil-Stamping.html

So the foil is going to be the letters proper.

Is the CMYK going to be an image like shown? Are you rebuilding it and using a gradient for the "long shadow," 3D effect behind the foiled letters?

If you wan to simply get pretty close, you can create a rectangle (I lay them on top of the image somewhat) and with it selected, use the color picker on a part of the image, move it around until the rectangle hits the color desired. And you can do the same with a gradient in that you can use the color picker for the start/end stops.

For the Foil itself, once you get the design otherwise ready, create a second page (assuming a one-page design anyway), copy the text or the text shapes and paste in place on the second page. Use a Pantone color (but not any of the libraries that are really CMYK like the Bridge libraries) to color the text/text shapes. That will put the items to be either hot/cold foil in a single plate on the last page of the PDF.

Mike

Yes, Gary.

The SILVER foil appears to be the lettering. Read my response that just hit.

So the foil is going to be the letters proper.

Is the CMYK going to be an image like shown? Are you rebuilding it and using a gradient for the "long shadow," 3D effect behind the foiled letters?

If you wan to simply get pretty close, you can create a rectangle (I lay them on top of the image somewhat) and with it selected, use the color picker on a part of the image, move it around until the rectangle hits the color desired. And you can do the same with a gradient in that you can use the color picker for the start/end stops...
    I do not trust pipettes. It's not vector gradient, it's bitmap image. I compared the image color with CMYK book.

For the Foil itself, once you get the design otherwise ready, create a second page (assuming a one-page design anyway), copy the text or the text shapes and paste in place on the second page. Use a Pantone color (but not any of the libraries that are really CMYK like the Bridge libraries) to color the text/text shapes. That will put the items to be either hot/cold foil in a single plate on the last page of the PDF.

Mike
    It's clear. Thank you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Mike and digitalphaser - Printers have special foils, all the metalic colors, white, black and multicolor which they apply with a special device. I have never heard of this as part of the CMYK printing process and I have done a fair amount of this process in the past.

http://www.printingforless.com/Hot-Foil-Stamping.html
    Not sure. But I saw the their previous products. It does not look like hot stamping.