Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Middle Wisconsin... just 80 miles from the Frozen Tundra of Lambeau Field

Default Event Specific Index pages

Back in the good ol' days of Microsoft Expressions Web 2 & 4, I maintained a pile of replaceable Index pages covering such things as Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Marine Corps Birthday, and most major holidays. I simply uploaded the proper Index page for the day or week necessary.

Now, I realize that this topic has been discussed at length with various work-a-rounds. Finally got a moment and attempted a couple that appeared solid but Xara tore it apart.

It was suggested to open the .zar and delete all unnecessary pages. Then save the Index page remaining under a new name. Didn't work too well as it also deleted all now unnecessary links including menu bars.

It was also suggested to simply copy the needed page, open a new page and paste in. Kinda worked but didn't preserve background and formatting. Another fail.

Perhaps I was missing a step... causing failure.

Thus, I now make little changes, backup the HTML Index at the host, upload the new Index, and when its purpose has been completed, delete, rename the backup. Back in business. Much too much problem for 2017.

Is there a better path to Index Nirvāṇa?

Thanks,

Randy

Default Re: Event Specific Index pages

Randy, you could try a bit of JavaScript in the head of your index page, along the lines of:

<script>

var currentTime = new Date()

var dt = new Date(2017,2,22,7,0,0); // months in JavaScript are 0-11
    if (currentTime > dt ) {
    window.location = "BreastCancerAwarenessMonth.htm;";
    }

var dt = new Date(2017,3,22,7,0,0); // months in JavaScript are 0-11
    if (currentTime > dt ) return;

var dt = new Date(2018,10,1,9,0,0); // months in JavaScript are 0-11
    if (currentTime > dt ) {
    window.location = "MarineCorpsBirthday.htm;";
    }

var dt = new Date(2018,10,2,9,0,0); // months in JavaScript are 0-11
    if (currentTime > dt ) return;

</script>
    The named pages would be placed permanently in your site but only accessed on this redirection.
    If neither were valid the return command keeps you on the index page.

I did it this way to avoid if then else constructs but that is another approach.

Nothing above has been tested, just my musings.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

As this is a web design question I've moved it to Xara Web Design Chat
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

It was also suggested to simply copy the needed page, open a new page and paste in. Kinda worked but didn't preserve background and formatting. Another fail.
    How are you copying the page? I've tested it and it imports everything including background & formatting.

This is how I did it:
    In the Page & Layer Gallery, moused over the index page, right click & select 'Copy Page Index'.
    Open a new web document.
    Again, in the P&L Gallery, right click and select 'Paste Page Index'.
    You might get a box asking if you want to match Text Styles & Colours. Select 'Don't Match'.

This page will now be a complete replica of the site page you copied it from.

Obviously any navbars using relative links become meaningless but if they use absolute links they will function.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Acorn,

To this lay person, it appears an elegant solution. And just off the top of your head... a tip of the hat sir.

I'll give it a try. See if I can make it functional for me. Perhaps another in this forum will also accept the challenge... perhaps even the primary Xara coders to assist us "mortals."

May Spring be sooner than later,

Randy

Apologies please.

Really thought I was in the correct place. Upon review, I see I wasn't.

All my best,

Randy

Egg,

Thanks for the reply.

The answer is yes... exactly as you did.

Here's what happened... ScreenShot036 is what I wanted, ScreenShot037 is what I received.

As this was my first project with Xara Designer Pro X11, there could be all types of "user" induced errors involved.

Finally, as this is my only Xara project, family biz and all, whenever I get back into the program I have to relearn it all over again. Yes, we do have a professional web developer in the family... but this provides this retiree something to do... while he is free to earn both customers and an actual income.

Thank you very much,

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenShot036.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	116192   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenShot037.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	116193  

Hi Randy,
    Then I can't understand what's going on here. It's obvious that your original page is wider than the pasted page. This is wrong. Can you attach a xar file?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg,

First I must say your dedication is exemplary, working posts at YOUR time of the morning. Me, I've just tossed a few logs on the fire for the sleeping hours.

Anyway, I've reduced my .xar down to the "home" page... but I think that will provide what you asked for as all other pages are derived from Home/INDEX page. Now I have to find the attachment icon and all will be well with this post. Let me know if "files" are required.

Again,

Thank you very much... BUT, please don't find too much wrong... I don't know if I could ever recreate this thing.

Best regards,

Randy
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Randy,

Maybe this will help?

By the way, loved the Valentine Video. I shared it on Facebook, just awaiting the feminist backlash

Egg