Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Man, a whole load of replies to get together here, great!

@ SIMMOTINO

I find it insulting that you say that I criticize and belittle others. I think you misunderstood me when I say that none of your have an artistic soul. I did not mean artistic talent, there are many talented people who post here on the boards. I meant that any artist should have the right to defend there own integrity and work; and if other’s here think that this is wrong then they don’t understand what being an artist is about. I’ll seem to get from people here is ner … ner … you did something wrong! And I reserve the right to say back to these people … ner … ner … you’re not being very helpful here are you.

I would welcome you to go through all previous posts and tell me when I’ve belittled someone else’s work and I will gladly apologize to the person involved and the forum as a whole. But I think you’ll be hard pressed to find such a post. If I don’t have anything nice to say then I don’t say anything or on the odd occasion give a little advice or encouragement.

I made a genuine mistake and when I reply with a spirited and humorous response you all take it literally and jump on me faster than you can say Jack Flash. I think you may be guilty of exactly the same thing of which you are accusing me of. Let him without sin cast the first stone mate. Read the line below and tell me how it would make you feel if someone said it to you,

“We all managed to follow Gary's instructions, why can't LogoVend?”

BTW, I have a name, it’s James, it’s on all my posts there.

@ Dmagician

I’m not prepared to post the details of the clients for each piece of work here on the forum so I’m about to email you all the details of each of them. I would like you to contact each one and see if I am lying and then when you have done so and confirmed that they’re all for paid work then you can come back to me and apologize for questioning my honesty.

@ Availor

I’m not grumpy … far from it … I live in Barcelona, 32 degrees every day, swim in the sea … have an easy job making good money … lovely, sexy, clever girlfriend … listen to great music on a good stereo as I work … nah man … I just have a little fire in my belly which I think is a good thing.
    @ Mac

“I have read the instructions also and you did not comply with them as far as I'm concerned”

“If you are not happy hear the way things are done leave”

Maybe they should make you a moderator on the new vBulletin boards – you seem to have all the right qualifications! And like, my response to SIMMONTINO, I would challenge you to go through my previous posts and actually see how helpful and encouraging I’ve been.

And I was half thinking to do a design for the new boards but after this very funny thread my resolve has been solidified I’ll be putting maximum effort and time into before the deadline. Ah, the delicious irony of you all having to see my design every time you come here!

@ Gary

I know I’ve messed up and I hope you took the original response in the way it was meant as a little humor to mask my embarrassment and I understand a little better the whole thing of not posting them here – otherwise there’s no surprise. So I’ll send some of my other work. Which no one has ever seen and I hope it’s good enough to be included.

NOW CONSIDER THIS THREAD CLOSED TO ANY OFF-TOPIC SUBJECTS
    I.E. IF YOU WANT TO RESPOND TO ANY MY COMMENTS
    PLEASE EMAIL ME DIRECTLY LOGOVEND@HOTMAIL.COM

It's quite interesting to see how some of your clients underestimate the power of being listed on internet and indexed by search engines.

@ Dmagician

NOW CONSIDER THIS THREAD CLOSED TO ANY OFF-TOPIC SUBJECTS
    I.E. IF YOU WANT TO RESPOND TO ANY MY COMMENTS
    PLEASE EMAIL ME DIRECTLY LOGOVEND@HOTMAIL.COM

I'm not interested in private argues. So if you need my apology, here it is.

I hereby apology for questioning your honesty.

EOT.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Roman -- http://starfishdirect.com and http://keepmyphotos.com certainly weren't hard to find.

Gary's call, I assume, is for logos *designs*. Does it really make any difference if logos are in use or not? I realize client input can add a level of 'difficulty' for a designer. Still, isn't a good design a good design -- not any better just because there was a client involved.

Regards, Ross

It's an interesting point Ross - over the year since I've been designing I find it's a mixed bag really.

Sometimes you have the client knowing exactly what they want and it's just a case of drawing that to please them. This is easy work because there's no imagination necessary really.

Sometimes they give you a blank page and this can be really great or really bad. Great if you come up with some good ideas because the project imspires you. Or bad if you have no ideas.

And the clients themselves can make it difficult because they can be so nit-picky sometimes. Or they can be respectful of your creativity and let you get on with it.

But I would say overall that doing work for a client is easier than designing a logo just for fun because at least there's some form of brief there and hence a starting point.

Just to add another wrinkle to this conversation.

When I design a logo for a client, I don't just show them the design and say, OK folks here's your logo. I try to present a range of designs which can be anywhere from 6 to 12 designs.

This involves the client in the process. Not from the client sitting behind the designer and moving his hands, but by getting the client to select one of the design alternatives.

SO... (where are you going with this Gary?)

If I show 12 designs that I consider all to be of professional quality, the client picks one, then I have 11 quality designs left. The logo I showed in last year's show for Paul Kohlman Photography was not the logo Paul selected. PK Logo. But it was my favorite in the range of designs I presented. (The design Paul picked)

So although, this logo was not picked by the client it still represents to me a degree of design and professionalism with which I am happy.

See what I mean?

Gary

Yeah I agree with you Gary sometimes the client does pick the 'wrong' one - happens to me all the time.

As for 6 to 12 design - I think this is too many I usually only design 3 to 5 with various on the theme - I did do a lot more unique design before but found this was confusing for the client - too much to think about - if you have 3 very strong ideas with variation on the theme - (i,e, different colour, maybe one more 3d) I always feel this is the ideal number because you can present them and they will always make a decision. It's inversely but the same effect as design-b- commity (like when you have a group of 5 or 6 clients having the decision) if you offer to many ideas. Too many things shouting for attention.

Also it's a waste of my time to design 12 unique logos if only one is bought. A ratio of 1:12 of time being paid for. Time is money.

But you know ever client is different - some think they can do hand moving - others just let you get on with it - the latter I like best.

Simmotino,
    Please don't stop posting. I not only enjoy looking at your and other individual's work, but I appreciate the fact that you're sharing work that you've put time and effort into.

Whether or not soul is to be found in one's work can only be determined by the individual who did the work. They and only they know what effort was put into the work and what motivated them. Because we don't all enjoy the same subjects or styles is not criteria for determining their feeling for their work. For someone else to make that judgement is presumptuous, arrogant and plain silly.

ron
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Well in this matter I would like to point out a question for you at a personal level with a client:
    Sometimes I'm having trouble with a client (since I'm a noob at this compared to people here).
    Sometimes a client is just too picky... He wants to sit next to me and see every step in the design, and he just picks on everything.

Sometimes it's the opposite: He just says: "Ok when will it be ready?" When I ask him what concept he wants, what idea, does he want a photo or a painted picture, what subject an I working for (I've been asked to design bottle labels for a pharmacy buisness), he just tells me "I pay you for this, don't ask me to think". So I hang up with something I have no clue what to work on. I don't want to waste my time on something he does not want.
    Too many times I've been asked to "make something nice". Can you figure out what to do from "something nice" ?

Any suggestions?