Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Automatically scaling website for mobile use

I have Web Designer Premium 12.4. It seems to be lacking a lot of functionality that I used to have in Dreamweaver. Does Xara have any functionality to take an existing site and scale it for mobile use? Since I am just starting a new site, this would be good to know...

Is Designer Pro 365 worth spending the money to upgrade to? I see some cool features but I don't need image creating or editing because I have Corel Draw and Photoshop. Or should I upgrade to Web Designer 365 Premium?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Default Re: Automatically scaling website for mobile use

Automatically scaling sites are usually Responsive sites. Xara doesn't do responsive but creates Variants instead.

Xara can easily create a variant site from your Main (Desktop version) by going Utilities/Website Variants/Website Variants
    This creates (by default) the same content as the Main site but on a narrower page (480px by default for use on mobiles)
    Then resize images & text content to fit the narrower page size.
    The text style in the Mobile variant can be made larger to make it easier to read on a phone screen.
    The text content remains the same between both variants and Xara automatically creates the resized images on publish.
    It can be tested in preview by reducing the browsers width.

I find the main site (1000px wide) and a mobile variant (480px wide) suffices.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thank you so much for your help...

Not sure if this is what you are referring to Egg, but there is a Supersite > Scale to Fit option that automatically resizes a site to fit the screen.

I don't recommend this because when you scale a site to fit a small smart phone screen buttons that work fine on a desktop or laptop screen become impossibly small and content as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scale to fit.png 
Views:	120 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	116164  

No, I prefer variants too Gary. As you state you end up on a mobile pinching/zooming. Not a good solution. And apart from this the page sizes need to be almost identical on all pages.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host