Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Help Please

Hi everyone. I just started using Painter. Can any of you figure out what brushes/techniques were used to make this: http://www.lunabar.com/

Thank you!
    -Tracy
    IP

Tracy,

First, do we know if this image was done using Painter, another software, or painted using traditional media?

If Painter, it could have been done using any number of brush variants and combinations of brush variants, including custom variants created by the artist.

Some default Painter brush categories (which version are you using?) that come to mind (only some brush variants in each would work without much adjustment of the settings, if any):

Painter 8 Brush Categories
    Acrylics
    Gouache (maybe?)
    Liquid Ink
    Oil Pastels (maybe?)
    Oils
    Sumi-e

Painter 7 Brush Categories
    Brushes
    Liquid Ink

Painter 6 Brush Categories
    Brushes

Jinny Brown

PixelAlley's Section Links Page
    TutorAlley.com - Painter Focused Message Board for People who are Serious about Learning Painter
    (new registrations and classes on hold due to family medical emergency)
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jinny Brown:
    First, do we know if this image was done using Painter, another software, or painted using traditional media? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not traditional media, that I know. I don't know for sure if it was painter, but we have speculated it to be.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Some default Painter brush categories (which version are you using?) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Painter 8

Thank you very much for your help.
    IP

Tracy,

There's nothing particularly challenging about that image. It's fairly simple with no special feature uses evident, and I expect it could be done in any paint program that either has some kind of "bristle" brushes, or allows the user to create brushes based on an image (the image would provide the "bristly" endings on some of the brushstrokes).

Software packages that comes to mind first are:

Painter (full versions)
    Painter Clasic 1 or Painter Classic 2
    Photoshop
    PaintShop Pro

There are others I hear mentioned, like GIMP and Open Canvas, though I don't know anything about either except people say they use them to paint.

Or, though you say you know it was not done using traditional media, it looks as if it could be a scan of something painted on whatever (??) surface. The surface of the image looks pretty flat, but that could be due to image compression, loss of detail.

Jinny Brown

TutorAlley.com - Painter Focused Message Board for People who are Serious about Learning Painter
    Jinny Brown
    IP

Sorry folks, this message board only allows us to edit our messages for 120 minutes after they're posted.

I noticed tonight that I misspelled Painter Classic 1 (as "Painter Clasic 1") in my last message, posted yesterday.

Also, I thought of another program that could be used to do the example painting:

Corel PhotoPaint

Probably others as well, but that's all I can think of right now.

Jinny Brown

Jinny Brown
    IP