Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Styling lost on page upload

I published a new website last month using ftp. No problem. Yesterday I needed to make a minor text change to one page, so I made the change, exported the site to local files, and just uploaded the single html page file to save time. Now when I view it online the styling has been lost. It's just a mess of text. If I open it locally it looks fine. By coincidence I'm having ftp problems this morning, so can't just re-publish the whole site, but I can't understand why a single .htm page would lose its links. Any ideas?

Default Re: Styling lost on page upload

Still having the ftp problem. Don't know if it's the server or me. The upload dies and I get an error message 'partial file transferred'. Ring any bells?

Xara often renames images and stuff so when you publish you should publish the whole site. If you check Fast Publish in the Web Properties > Publish dialog Xara will note the changes made and only make those changes.

I am not sure why you are having problems. How are you publishing?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Xara often renames images and stuff so when you publish you should publish the whole site. If you check Fast Publish in the Web Properties > Publish dialog Xara will note the changes made and only make those changes.

I am not sure why you are having problems. How are you publishing?
    I am publishing using ftp, using the settings I've used before. I've tried repeatedly to re-publish the whole site. I just get this 'Remote file not found' message. I am trying to use the fast setting, ie only updating changed files, but it fails every time. That is why I tried to update a single page, only a text change. I exported it to files and uploaded the htm file, using the hosting service upload facility. I didn't thinnk anything else had changed, and it displays without any styling.

Can't win either way. Help!

Hmmm? Egg or Acorn. Any thoughts?

You can also file a support ticket at http://support.xara.com They will probably want to see your XAR or WEB file.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Hmmm? Egg or Acorn. Any thoughts?

You can also file a support ticket at http://support.xara.com They will probably want to see your XAR or WEB file.
    Thanks, I'll do that. I have just got around the problem by reverting to an earlier version, making the changes I needed, and uploading that. I still have a problem with my hosting service, because I can only upload to the root, but as far as Xara is concerned I'm guessing I've got a .web file which has become corrupted. I'll share it with support if they get involved.

Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, it sounds to me like a corrupted file but what part? That's the hard part.

When you preview individual pages are there any indications of problems?