Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Is "master pages" something to expect be release by DP in the short term?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    It's not that we have not asked repeatedly for master pages.
    For doing multi-page layouts with a consistent border or decoration, it's really useful. Combine with automatic page numbering for best effect.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

Default Re: Is "master pages" something to expect be release by DP in the short term?

No, still missing the point....
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Why doesn't REPEAT ON ALL PAGES work for anyone? It's been in there since forever....
    See my some of artwork and hear some of my music at www.kniteforcerevolution.com

It does work. It's a programmer's crutch around not providing master pages. Clever, yes. But not as useful as master pages.

I also would prefer master pages.

But not as useful as master pages
    Hi Mike. Surely a master page/s is just the same as another layer over which to overlay the page content. Repeat on all Pages allows for an edit on one page to update all pages. Other than that what else can master pages achieve? I honestly can't see an advantage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	master-pages.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	116149  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

"Repeat on all pages" is an interesting solution for the web site. But the print media have in at least even and odd pages. To say nothing of cover etc... Not suitable!

Egg I don’t have any apps installed at the moment to demonstrate the advantages and usefulness of master pages over the Xara approach, and I can see how the lack of a master page feature can be worked around, but the fact that dedicated DTP programs like InDesign, QuarkXPress, Scribus, PagePlus, FrameMaker etc, and many presentation apps like PowerPoint, Impress etc, all do use master pages (and have done so for many years), they have become an industry standard and a widely recognised concept - and not without good reason.

As soon as you start working on slightly longer or complicated publications, with left and right pages (as mentioned), different page orientations, spreads, contents, indexes, appendices, alternative page layouts etc, having a system to create, store, edit, select and apply master pages really comes into its own. They would also be of benefit on the web design side of things too.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Quote Originally Posted by digitalphaser View Post
    "Repeat on all pages" is an interesting solution for the web site. But the print media have in at least even and odd pages. To say nothing of cover etc... Not suitable!
    Fair enough. I only use P&GD, but would've thought it would work similarly with web components.
    See my some of artwork and hear some of my music at www.kniteforcerevolution.com