Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xara Designer

Default Xara Designer

Hello,

I am a designer at Xara. I just wanted to say hello and share and see some of your ideas, hacks and suggestions for graphic effects.

Don't ask me Development, Technical or Product questions. I am not that type of geek.

I like to play with pictures and layouts.

Chat later

Default Re: Xara Designer

Welcome to TalkGraphics

Pantone support for bitmaps, duotones etc. including PDF export

Glyph support for OpenType

Master Pages (print and web)

User determined page numbering (e.g. starting page 1 15 pages into the book or long document.

Create one sprite file instead of numerous image files to speedup load times. If no at least give us the ability to name navbar images.

Create desktop & mobile versions of named images. At present if you name an image via "filename = xxxx" Xara publishes a small version (mobile) then on next publish it publishes a large version (desktop) and repeats indefinitely. So you can end up with a desktop image that is at a mobile resolution. Bad.

Supply a dropdown list in the names window for more common names. i.e. "filename=", "html block" etc

Oh and sorry, welcome.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Welcome to Talk Graphics! Please continue working on the brushes! We need to be able to set heads and tails and have controls over the repeating portion, and more options on how the brush is rendered on tight corners for starters.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphissste View Post
    Hello,

I am a designer at Xara. I just wanted to say hello and share and see some of your ideas, hacks and suggestions for graphic effects.

Don't ask me Development, Technical or Product questions. I am not that type of geek.

I like to play with pictures and layouts.

Chat later
    I think you need to clarify for the folks what you mean by sharing tips, tracks and hacks. Else this thread will become just like all the rest of the fruitless "we want" threads.

Mike

Wow thanks for your replies.

The aim of this thread was not to be a wish list. Gosh most forums for any software are filled with that kind of thing.
    What I am interested in is how you use the program. Do you make your own components that you add to your local designs gallery, repeatable items to speed-up layout design. Do you make your own filters, animations, brushes, hover-effects, photo panels, graphic photo and text panels, do you use the software for wireframing and prototyping, are there nice ideas in presentation creation etc. I would love to see and share these ideas. I myself have had fun making, effects brushes, filters, micro-animations, hovers, etc.

Lets have fun?

See attached a little Theme Color Editor Tool I created for shades and componets. Great way to update or change your styles but also to keep your button hovers, components and background shades consistent throughout your designs. Just right click on Theme Color 1 in the color bar for example and edit it in the Color Editor.
    Attached Files Attached Files

The aim of this thread was not to be a wish list. Gosh most forums for any software are filled with that kind of thing.
    True but for the most part the lists are ignored so it never hurts to make the case again.

I use Designer Pro X for everything I do. My background is in design and advertising so I prefer to make everything from scratch.

I create hidden image stereograms for the web and for publications and I do everything, textures, depth image, composition, everything except the actual creation of the stereogram in Designer Pro X. I have custom folders of textures, and depth images.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I use Designer pro for a lot of things I create a small weekly publication Good Morning Sunshine that I prepare both for print and as an online issue that I do as a supersite. I do advertising design, graphic design, website design on occasion, I've done POS (point of sale) signage for my other job in a retail clothing shop and then there are my tutorials and teaching stuff here on TG and on Youtube.

My Video tutorials are part Xara presentation screen recorded and narrated and part screen recored tutorial. I have also been exploring how the new photo presets were created and have been creating my own. I have also been looking at creating my own effects brushes for the photo effects painter. The one thing that has hindered me there is the fact that any new effects have to be added to the main list and show up in the dropdown list, which after adding 4or 5 more would become too long and unweildly. if there were someway to point the tool to an outside folder would open up this feature IMO Ok I know I'm straying into wish list/development

Going back to Design something I often do is create brushes for borders there is a lack of good border designs in the brushes that come with the program. I suspect this is because the repeating artbrushes really need more work (ok yes I know that's development but it needs to be addressed!) and it's time consuming (and near impossible)to create a good design that works well with tight corners

It might be interesting to find out how many users still go outside of Xara to do brushwork.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Hi Angelise.

I had great fun creating the Effects Brushes and Filters. Some exciting stuff on the way.

In the beginning with Effects Brushes, I would draw a stroke and then change the attributes and effects. I would then save that file and then import it into my local designs gallery. I would put the effect on a secon page. The first page I would make look pretty as a thumbnail for my DG, then lock all layers on that page. Locked layers don't import. Then in a new work document if I need that effect, I would drag the effect on to my page and Ctrl C. Then click on the object I wanted to add the effect to and then Ctrl ALt A. Paste Attributes. Then take it from there. I know this is a long way round, but that is how effects brushes started and we manage to package then. This method, you can apply to many objects or styles from, images, vectors or text, that you can re-use from your local designs gallery. I hope that helps?

I Have been looking at Borders too ;-)

Do you have a website where you show examples of what you do.
    ... I am always curious ;-)createBrush2.xar

Graphissste,

In looking at your files it says that they were created with a newer version than Designer Pro 365 and that features may be disabled. What version of software are you using to make the files?

Can you talk a little about how you use your Theme color editor? I am not really sure what the purpose is for this.

Thanks
    Ray