Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Default Re: How do you feel about the 365 Program?

Hi, I was re-reading the update service (see link http://www.xara.com/us/update-service/ ) and I am disappointed at what was delivered versus what was promised. Since the last full release was on April 13, 2016 the 70 day countdown of the calendar is on. Time will tell if the wait was worth it.

Ciao

Roly

Wasn't there an update in November with some new text options?
    Not that I was anxiously waiting for those... But they did throw us a bone!

It just isn't enough to keep me exited.

It's sad... Cause I really do like Designer Pro

Quote Originally Posted by dutchim View Post
    Wasn't there an update in November with some new text options?
    Not that I was anxiously waiting for those... But they did throw us a bone!

It just isn't enough to keep me exited.

It's sad... Cause I really do like Designer Pro
    Cannot remember about the text thing. I do remember some web and image editing things in November. I don't use XDP for web crap and I use an image editor for image work.

But what's it say concerning usage of these new/enhanced features if we need to look them up to even see what they were?

Just looked. Several image editing things were added in November. A new smart shape. Word & PDF import improvements. Content Catalog stays open. Looks like the only new text thing is being able to make a TOC...which of the three people that makes books, they may care if they ever use XDP again to do a book.

Mike

Not impressed that we are kept in the dark as to what new features will be added. If no new eye catching improvements and features are introduced by my years end then I will switch to wordpress for good.

Thanks for asking.

I’m also mostly disappointed with the lack of updates. I check the forum most days and my heart leaps a little when I see under TalkGraphic Announcements "Just Released: Updates to..." then fall into a decline when I spot the November date. In fact XPGD was last updated in October.

Another disappointment is this latest version (v12) has been more buggy than the last (non-365) one. It's still a great creative program but not necessarily my first choice for photo editing or graphic design anymore.
    Last edited by Jonopen; 04 February 2017 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Removed extra line returns
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Yes, a disappointing year. I don't see me renewing simply to keep use of the catalogue of stuff that I don't use. Also they shall have to come up with something exciting for me to splash the cash. Other small companies already mentioned are getting more adventurous while Xara seems to be stuck at the roadside.

Well, I've been pretty scathing about Xara/Magix in recent times, because of the company's lack of response to very reasonable requests for improvements for Open Type support. So I thought I'd go easy on the criticism regarding the subscription model they have introduced. However, I cannot idly read the above comments without making a response. As far as I can see it's win/win for the company - a year's income for doing next to nothing, and lose/lose for the loyal band of customers who have, to all intents and purposes been taken for a ride. To trust any company to deliver improvements with vague assurances that unspecified improvements will be forthcoming during the period of the subscription is a sign that the customer needs a reality check. If it looks like a scam, smells like a scam and tastes like a scam, then it's a scam, folks. Xara/Magix are laughing all the way to the bank. Not even an apology, no faux remorse, nada.Just my two cents.Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

So I have not posted here in a while. I've been with Xara since the beginning (I guess that shows my age and my better decisions I've made in my life), and I'm sitting currently working on a new logo for my friend in XP11. I'm an exceptionally loyal person (been married over 30 years) , and tend to stick with what works for me, through thick and thin. I have religiously upgraded since the '90s (through mergers etc..) , and have produced designs I've never thought would come out of my hands with this wonderful tool. I purposely did not upgrade to 365 to see where Charles Moir and others are going to take us. As others have stated, I waited patiently for the product to evolve as a vector design product, and it has not grown significantly for my personal requirements. It is very difficult for me to move away from a product, one due to my loyalty, and the other is I hate to go through another learning curve, however, I think the time for me personally has come. None of the vector products I've used through the years have been perfect, but after testing the new Affinity Designer, I'm going to switch. It may work out it may not but I think the new subscription model coupled with lack of significant engineering movement on the product makes my decision easier. It is not the new model, it is the new model with the last 2 years of lack of engineering movement on the product.
    Dave Zubrowski

I am pretty sure that the company is putting it's resource into the revenue stream side, ie WEB, rather than drawing

There are just too many viable alternatives around these days... and maybe not just for the drawing side....

The company is on record as saying they switched to the 365 model because they wanted to give their customer base updates straight away rather than make them wait until annual release, but no guarantees were given about frequency or content - in other words, if you read the small print, the company did not actually promise there would be updates during the year, just that we would get them early if there happened to be any

It's a very difficult market in which xara does not have the advantages it once had; not at all sure this helps them
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

One suggestion : M1