Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Default Re: How do you feel about the 365 Program?

I also feel that my reply should have gone into the plus column.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Thanks Acorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Ron, Xara application shave never forced an update. You have a second method, always haphazard, where Xara will present a "Do you wish to update?" screen, which you can decline.
    As mentioned earlier, updates and bug fixes are intertwined, so if you have a problem you are forced to update. If you have updated in error, you can always revert to the CD install or download from Xara; i believe this will always be the base version. whether that has bug fixes applied so it is changed throughout its year run. What has not been explained is if one subscribes for two years (v12 and v13) would v13 be downloadable after v14, v15 etc are out there?

Acorn
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Hi Grace, given your comments, I felt that placing you in the Indifferent column was quite reasonable..."Well I have always upgraded to the new version when it arrived, so I figured buying the subscription did not really change anything. I was hoping that it would remove the impatience I feel each year as I wait for the pro version to appear, we will see. I am surprised that we did not get at least one new feature rolled out during the year."...I'm sorry if you feel you were misrepresented in any way. It wasn't intentional. I agree with you though, it has taken away the impatience of waiting, but I feel the disappointment level is unchanged.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    ...it has taken away the impatience of waiting, but I feel the disappointment level is unchanged.
    Bob.
    With a single 365 update, there really wasn't any difference unless one makes web sites.

I don't know if XDP will see another update before the anniversary or not. But even so, it would take OT features and/or actual vector stuff for me to be happy.

What wouldn't make me happy is the lack of the above and only web and/or on-line content stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    ...But even so, it would take OT features and/or actual vector stuff for me to be happy...
    Kate Moir has said in this thread, "We are working on OpenType support. I just can't give you an eta!"
    I'd hazard a guess and say that it won't be within the lifetime of the 1st. anniversary of the 365 model, and probably not the second.
    It has been requested in Dear Xara for years now. The focus just seems to be elsewhere.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

That's what it'll take to make me happy, though!

And, unlike the funky paragraph styles, I really hope when OT Features come that they will be implemented in an intuitive manner. (CD is about the best in this regard, but I would take AD's implementation as well...)

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    That's what it'll take to make me happy, though!

And, unlike the funky paragraph styles, I really hope when OT Features come that they will be implemented in an intuitive manner. (CD is about the best in this regard, but I would take AD's implementation as well...)
    Yes You got right. CDR has the best support for OT features. I made a little comparism between some vectordrawing programs. The Fonts are: OT Adobe Garamond and OT Times New Roman.
    Here is the link to a bigger image then can be displayed herein: https://www2.pic-upload.de/img/32683540/opentype.jpg

I'd take the way Illustrator deals with it, too. Xara will do it in their own inimitable way, I imagine. And when they do, we will either be happy or we won't, and we will make our own decisions about Xara as a result.

The euphoric period with Affinity Designer has passed for me, it's good, but will never be Illustrator, and probably never be Xara either. In due course some of us may have to make a decision about either sticking with Xara or moving on because of the 365 thing, (of which I am personally extremely doubtful). I don't want to be perpetually caught in the trap of being unable to decide which program I will stick with and anyway it's not a loyalty issue, Adobe Serif and Xara are just names, they don't have any issues about their customers, either.

We just should do what we feel is best for ourselves and forget about "loyalty". Or not. Xara will probably not abandon the 365 thing and say "We're sorry, Guys". Forget them, if we have to, they won't remember us either way.

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    I'd take the way Illustrator deals with it, too. Xara will do it in their own inimitable way, I imagine. And when they do, we will either be happy or we won't, and we will make our own decisions about Xara as a result.

The euphoric period with Affinity Designer has passed for me, it's good, but will never be Illustrator, and probably never be Xara either. In due course some of us may have to make a decision about either sticking with Xara or moving on because of the 365 thing, (of which I am personally extremely doubtful). I don't want to be perpetually caught in the trap of being unable to decide which program I will stick with and anyway it's not a loyalty issue, Adobe Serif and Xara are just names, they don't have any issues about their customers, either.

We just should do what we feel is best for ourselves and forget about "loyalty". Or not. Xara will probably not abandon the 365 thing and say "We're sorry, Guys". Forget them, if we have to, they won't remember us either way.
    The only correct way to do OT is Corel. The ligatures are correct, in German language. As an Typesetter I wish that a programm can handle ligatures in any languages.
    As a profesionall graphic designer I pay professional money. XDP – „Xara Designer Professional” I will see professional tools and behaviour. I'd say it on an other site: I love Xara and I hate it. But I will see Xara as an outstandig professional tool. The approaches to this are available. But not stay and do only web-things, listen to us – the user and You Xara can be one of the great. We bring You the money. But remember You are not allone.

Servus Ernie

Adobe products have incomplete OT Feature support, cannot process some OT Features and fail on yet others.

As a part-time font designer, I need to create bodges for AI and ID to support features, such as stuffing the hlig feature into a stylistic set just so historical ligatures can be used. As well, ID and a few other applications fail to do complex chaining context lookups, and fails altogether on reverse chaining lookups.

CorelDraw processing them properly as does Affinity Designer. (And most all current browsers for that matter.)