Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need Ideas ... Placing Client Produced Content Automatically

As most here know, I come from a WebPlus background. We had I-frames (inline frames), panels that can be made visible or invisible by the visitor while the page is active, RSS readers, etc.

To go along with that, there was a service called "Serif Web Resources" (SWR) --- which I am currently using on a site that I still maintain with WPX8. The buzz I've heard is that SWR may be shut down in the not too distant future ... leaving me with a problem.

My customer has four pages he maintains content on. He has a Local News, Community Events, School News, and Church News page that are simply 4 distinct CMS pages hosted on SWR.

I set up an account, he logs in and edits content, and when he's done, the next time someone logs on to his site, these four CMS pages are available on a single page of his site via panels which become visible or invisible by the visitors' choices in the navigation.

I've looked at several CMS choices but none of them allow me to simply import an article without importing the entire page ... with a header. That won't work. I just want to import the article he has written.

The next problem is presentation. WPX8 had a great way to do this with panels. The visitor reaches the page, and Local News is visible. When he/she clicks on the Church News tab, the panel containing the Local News becomes invisible, and in its place the Church News panel is now visible. Click on the School News tab, and the Church News panel becomes invisible and the School News panel becomes visible.

So, since I'm thinking of migrating this site over to Xara, I also need an efficient way to accomplish this - or something akin to it - as well.

I have built and maintained this site continuously since 2004, so I would really like to keep him as a customer. I mean, I started out hand coding his site as well as FP and So-Think's HTML Editor.

Default Re: Need Ideas ... Placing Client Produced Content Automatically

It would help if we could look at the site & it's current format Dijenga.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

This site is very cluttered ... but that is what the customer wants it to look like.

The page in question is http://www.qliteradio.com/news.html

He is getting a redo in Xara later this spring, but need to find a way to do this in Xara, or at least something close.

Stoopid me, I didn't think about layers ... since that's all panels actually are anyhow, that part I've figured out.

Now, as for CMS ... can I set up something like an iframe (inline frame) in Xara?

Been playing around with various CMS, but unable to find one that works without having a header on the page. It needs to be just a text file that can be formatted simply and fixed remotely if needed.

Pop-up layers are the way to go and these can contain iframes no problem. The CMS part, I'd need to know how much editing skill your client has. Xara Online would seem the easiest way forward perhaps?

Off to bed
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I lied

Here's an example. Only the main new & Schools section work but you should get the idea.

The text is not CMS but Google Drive editable documents.

More tomorrow.

DEMO
    Egg

Thanks, will give that a go. Have a great day!

Well, I'm missing something because all I get from Google is "This content cannot be displayed in a frame".

Has to be something I missed, please advise.

In GoogleDrive you need to go File/Publish to the Web/Embed & copy the code and place it in a placeholder Body in Xara. Test this.

It will have a very small window. add the following to the code:

width=700 height=290 scrolling=no frameborder=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0

between the " and the > at the end by "></iframe>

then adjust the width & height to suit. You can also change the scrolling=no to scrolling=auto
    Egg

Thanks. I'll get to it this evening.

I already knew about the placeholder and iframe code, but not how to access the google documents.