Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Font mess up with supersite on Android

The problem I have is as follows :

I have been creating a magazine for some time which is designed as a print document. It is also converted to a pdf which is loaded to issuu. No problems here, it all works well.

I have now tried uploading it to web as a supersite. This is fine on computers but on Android tablets there are some fonts which don't show up properly and others where the text lines are shortened leaving a lot of white space on the right.

As I type this, the fact that I design it as a text document rather than a website suggests itself as the problem - but I don't know enough about how Xara treats these two formats.

Any comments about this would be welcome.

Default Re: Font mess up with supersite on Android

What fonts are you using? Specifically the ones that are messing up?

Hi

The main text is Open Sans and all the lines are shorter than they ought to be.

The font Times New Roman is changed to something else completely and appears to be in a larger font size than it was originally. Some lines are then 'too long'.

All 'Bold' text is ignored but I'm aware that Android can't cope with this.

Ian

Have you done anything in the Android device to change the size of the font? This is a known problem. Also having an object repel text in a text area that is justified left and right can cause problems.

You might have better luck publishing the PDF content as a web page. I have never had problems with web sites I have designed when viewed in my Samsung 7" tablet. PDF can be problematic depending on the application that is displaying the file.

Thanks for the comments. I've not changed the font size and the Android font size is set at 100%.
    Loading a pdf to issuu is the more reliable way of viewing things correctly and it has some advantages over the Xara produced supersite so I may just stick with that.

I know I'm late to the party... but just in case you have not resolved this....

I too, experienced this, and it was disturbing. But I found out (in my case at least), that when I cleared the phone cash, it straightened it out and all was well.

Cliff

cache, but we take your point. I use Apple Pay and that IS phone cash.

Clearing the cache on the Android tablet didn't sort the problem. I discovered that the web pages displayed correctly on my Android phone (ver 5.1.1) but not on the tablet which was version 4. Both devices were Samsung. This may be the root of the problem.

Having tried viewing the website on a friend's new Samsung Android tablet (not sure of the OS version) the Open Sans font displayed as was planned. The text in Times New Roman was displayed in something like the TNR font but the font size seemed to be wrong.

I think that, were I to persevere with producing a supersite from the text document, I would have to avoid Times New Roman - though I think there must be an underlying reason for this problem. When producing a supersite from a xar text document is output of fonts treated differently?