Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Xara

Default New to Xara

I just bought the program today, so I don't know a whole lot . I previously used PSPX2 and Adobe elements 5. I got a new computer with Windows ten and had to find a new software for making tags. I would like to do some vector drawings from a photo of my dogs. Is there somewhere on this forum, a written tutorial for layering or vector drawing that I could follow along? I bought Xara photo & graphic .

Default Re: New to Xara

Welcome to TG Rizack2. I can't think of one but if you attach a large scale image of your dogs I'm sure we could give you some pointers.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Welcome to TalkGraphics

You can use the Trace Bitmap feature such as demonstrated here http://www.xaraxone.com/guest/guest49/

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    ...if you attach a large scale image of your dogs I'm sure we could give you some pointers.
    You do see the humor in that I hope

Quote Originally Posted by Fin View Post
    You do see the humor in that I hope
    Collie-mate your words more carefully.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pointer.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	116038  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I printed out the tutorial, lets hope my brain cn follow it. I tried doing it on my own but could only figure out one section of my dogs picture. I couldn't figure out how to create another layer to do more. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	togetherside.png 
Views:	112 
Size:	209.9 KB 
ID:	116039

OK There are a few ways to do this. If you have good drawing skills you can use the vector drawing tools to create vector shapes. Shapes need to be shapes and lot lines to be filled with a color. See this article for drawing with the Shape Tool. http://www.xaraxone.com/webxealot/wo...workbook_2.htm

If you want to use the bitmap tracer feature (and this can be frustrating) go to Help > Photo & Graphics Designer Help > Index > and key in Bitmap Tracer. There is a section that explains how to trace a photo. You can try this approach. It creates a vector image comprised of hundreds - thousands small shapes and the result is kind of like the old Paint my Numbers paintings.

The Magnetic Lasso tool is designed to trace images or parts of images. Alt+F5. It work like similar tools in other programs but you can look up the details in the Help.

To extract multiple parts from the same photo just lasso one, Copy and Paste (maybe put to back or paste into another document) then do another, Copy and Paste, etc.

And to keep the puns going, in this case you could call it a, "Magnetic Lassie tool"... (Sorry.)

Phil

Good point Phil though you should be ashamed of yourself. Along with Fin and Egg.