Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi all!

I was hoping someone could shed a little light on Adobe Illustrator for me.

I'm a old veteran with Photoshop, but an infant with Illustrator.

I have Photoshop verion 5.0 and Illustrator version 9.0. (This may be my problem right there)

I lassoed a section of artwork in Photoshop and made it all pretty. It's an drawing of a book.

I need to animate the book pages like they're flipping really fast.

Ok, so by looking at what Illustrator can do in my manual, it looks like it can select and distort objects, which is what I want to do with the a section of the book.

However, when I open up the book in Illustrator there are several problems.

First, it's very tiny. I have no idea why. Ok, so I zoom in 800% (literally) so I can see and work with it.

Second, I can't select a piece of the book no matter what I try. I'm trying to select the top page so I can rotate and distort it, bit by bit, so I can make it look like it's flipping the page.

For some reason, it will only let me select the whole image, as a rectangle.

Does anyone have any idea as to what's going on and what can be done to fix this?

Thanks

http://www.wildlife-fantasy.com
    IP

Hi all!

I was hoping someone could shed a little light on Adobe Illustrator for me.

I'm a old veteran with Photoshop, but an infant with Illustrator.

I have Photoshop verion 5.0 and Illustrator version 9.0. (This may be my problem right there)

I lassoed a section of artwork in Photoshop and made it all pretty. It's an drawing of a book.

I need to animate the book pages like they're flipping really fast.

Ok, so by looking at what Illustrator can do in my manual, it looks like it can select and distort objects, which is what I want to do with the a section of the book.

However, when I open up the book in Illustrator there are several problems.

First, it's very tiny. I have no idea why. Ok, so I zoom in 800% (literally) so I can see and work with it.

Second, I can't select a piece of the book no matter what I try. I'm trying to select the top page so I can rotate and distort it, bit by bit, so I can make it look like it's flipping the page.

For some reason, it will only let me select the whole image, as a rectangle.

Does anyone have any idea as to what's going on and what can be done to fix this?

Thanks

http://www.wildlife-fantasy.com
    IP

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Hi Beckyg - I'm not a photoshop or Illustrator user but I think I know what's happening.

By opening the image in Illustrator you've in effect imported a bitmap into that program. Illustrator will never be able to manipulate parts of it unless you redraw it in illustrator. You might be able to draw parts of the book and give those objects bitmap fills (using the imported bitmap) that correspond to the book.

Illustrator manipulates vector objects which typically are drawn in the program. It treats imported bitmaps as a single object.

Sorry I can't suggest an easy way to do what you want.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>
    IP

...but not one you're going to like. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Photoshop creates graphics in what's called a "Raster" format; think of this as 'pixels embedded into the canvas'.

Illustrator creates graphics in what's called a "Vector" format; think of this as 'pixels floating above the canvas'.

So, more specifically put Becky... when you create your book in Photoshop, it ends up being a 'one piece' image when exported to AI. Opening it into AI, even though it is a Vector program by nature, will not change this fact. And thusly, you will only ever be able to select the image as 'one object' in AI.

If however, you chose to create the book entirely within AI, you could create each page, as well as the book cover, etc., as individual objects. You could then effect them in any way the program will allow you to. Heck... you could even create any pictures 'within' the book's pages as separate objects, and effect them also. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I think you should try it that way (creating it with AI) and see if you find it more suitable to your needs in this case. If you have any real specific image(s) or effects you'd rather do in PS, then do so. But do the main body of the book in AI instead.

PS: as for the image's extremely small dimensions... not sure there. Hard to nail that without knowing how you have each program setup. I'd think first though about checking what the image "resoltuion" is in your Photoshop image, before exporting it to AI. I'd also check to see if any of AI's preferences can/do effect screen resolution.
    IP

I am not to checked out in Illustrator but I seem to remember that you have to set up your work space size. Should you have it set for the size of a football field any thing you import from Photoshop will look like a postage stamp, I think. I hope this at least helps you in getting you started in the right direction.

regards
    Greg.
    IP

The size that a bitmap has when placed in Illustrator is its print size that you can checkout in Photoshop (under Image Size).
    IP