Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default 3d printed computers?

If this is true, I have a feeling a lot thrid world countries will soon have internet access and kids will have computers

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...ed-laptop.html

Has anyone heard of this 3d printing technology?

I've also seen a whole bunch of these design files lying around like for this cooling fan part of a computer.

https://pinshape.com/items/8136-3d-printed-computer-fan-concept-model

If this is something affordable, i would love to give it a shot. Seems like you need to by a special 3d print machine though.

Love to 'print' some extra ram for my computer.

Default Re: 3d printed computers?

Eric - New members are not permitted links but since these links are relevant to your question I am approving the post and leaving the links intact.

it has to be said, the 3D printer is only printing the 'case' - you then need to assemble the bits, which are also supplied, inside it
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Ericiscooler View Post
    Seems like you need to by a special 3d print machine though.
    Yes you would or find someone with a 3D printer and hire him/her to print for you.

I have been to a couple demos of that technology and surprisingly enough they are less expensive than you might think.
    I saw one the other day that was in the $200-$300 us dollar range already assembled. Don't know anything about that brand though.
    Many of those printing at the demo were printing from a kit printer. but those kits were considerably higher priced maybe twice the cost but they worked well which makes me skeptical of the $200-$300 us dollar pre-assembled printers.

"Love to print' some extra ram for my computer, not possible, or at least it would cost big bucks for a printer capable of that but as far as I know that particular technology is not there. Most of the ones I have seen print with a plastic not unlike the spool of weed eater line. Even if it were seems to me like for the general public it would be more cost effective to buy your memory chips. Anyway that's my take on it.

EDIT: Some of the auto makers and aircraft makers can print metal parts but those are expensive printers.

Last edited by Rik; 20 January 2017 at 05:58 PM. Reason: fixed quote
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Then there is the software issue. Many models are available online for free but if you want to design and print your own unique part or object, then you need to design the 3D model in a format the printer can understand. I forget what that particular file type is, I just know blender for one can do it.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

no you can't 'print' the electronics Larry; and anyway with ram you would need an electrostatic free and dust free environment...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    no you can't 'print' the electronics Larry; and anyway with ram you would need an electrostatic free and dust free environment...
    Sorry. Did I say you could because I know you cannot at least not yet but Who knows maybe some clever person has figured something out. I was just trying to relay what little I know about those devices. And anyway there could be some technology that most of us have not heard about yet, that's all I was trying to say.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Sadly of course with many exciting new technologies there is a terrible flip-side - the 3D printing of guns and weapons.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

@ Larry: You said no, and so did I - and because you said it first I said it in a way that meant to show I agreed with you - sorry if that was not clear

there are lots of automated process that can be used in industry, but 'printing' as used here is only applicable to the extrusion of an homogeneous material - eg plastic

and yes, unfortunately, a gun which is a mechanical device and not too difficult to put together is one thing you can do - basic maybe, but that's not really the point.... let's hope the technology does not extend to the ammunition any time soon
    Nothing lasts forever...

So, ericiscooler - Unless you respond to these comments I will assume your post was spam and delete this thread. The 3D printed ball therefore is in your court.