Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: 3d printed computers?

The only one I've seen used, used two types of plastic. One of which was water soluble. It was used to print out an adjustable wrench. the filler material was then washed out of the final model under a tap.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Cheaper ones like mine use the same material as support material but print it very thin and airy, so it breaks away easily.

Just to clarify my last post:
    Mechanical working parts need small gap, or they will be printed as one part. This gap has to be filled with support material, as without it there would be no gap at all and it would never be possible to separate those parts and make them actually work.

@janopen Yup! That's the double edge sword of technology. The good side and the bad side. However in most cases, the good outweighs the bad so let's see this whole thing plays out. The real bad part is I still need to save up for a decent 3d printer. Man these things are kind of expensive

Quote Originally Posted by theinonen View Post
    It is impossible to print into air and the resulting print stay in place, if there is nothing to support it. So support material would have been better word than a filler.
    What I have seen so far is hair sprayed on the bed to hold the material in place while it is being printed. Then the finished part is pried off. The hair spray seems to hold very firmly. Any kind seems to work.

EDIT: at least on plastic.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Ericiscooler, what do you consider a decent printer? Do you desire or need to print something other than plastic? If so then I agree that type of printer would be very expensive.

EDIT; The only ones I have Personally seen only print plastic.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

This is a very interesting thread. Thanks Ericiscooler.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

@wizard509 - Thanks for the kind words This thread was a fluke though - ha! A decent printer for me would be something that I could afford - In the $300 to $500. I'm researching this topic pretty much everyday too so I'm kind of a noob but definitely something to keep an eye out for sure. Glad you enjoyed it. Cheers!

If you know someone that has one you might see how he likes his and the price.
    I had thought about buying a kit but i think a decent one is more in the range of $700-$800 dollar range.

EDIT: which is a considerable amount considering I'm not sure I would use it that much. If I were still in my prime and still working it wouldn't be hat big a deal.
    Last edited by wizard509; 26 January 2017 at 10:18 PM. Reason: adding text
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Not sure if this is a different kind of 3D printing, but if you are into building things yourself, there's an interesting device called a RepRap: http://www.reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

very interesting Jonopen. I had not heard of that one before. Thank you.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509