Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara .hosting questions

Hi, I am contemplating using the Xara.hosting site (once the malware issue is solved) to store websites for my customers to view on line and get a better feel for what it will look like when they go live. Being that I work on more than one site during the course of the day, I have the following questions;

Can you change the websites more often than once during the course of a day?

Can I change the password to access the websites many times during the day?

What is the wait time to preview the sites after you have published?

And one last question, what are other alternatives to using Xara.hosting in this same fashion?

Thank you

Roly

Default Re: Xara .hosting questions

I just add a subdirectory when I publish to xara.hosting. So to show a client a web design I just give them my web hosting address/sub directory.

This way you can have as many sites as you wish.

Once you are signed in you do not need to enter your user name or password again. It is stored on your computer.

The site is available for preview upon completion of publishing. So, no wait time.

And not in the order you asked, you can make changes as often as you want. I frequently make a simple change, publish, make another change, publish, etc. And once you have published the first time, the changes are made very quickly.

Thanks Gary, exactly what I wanted to know.

Ciao

Roly

And one further point Roly, if you don't want your draft sites parsed by google etc add a no follow code to the robots.txt file
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks Egg but I need more help to understand what you are saying. What I don't understand is ... add a no follow code to the robots.txt file

Thanks

Roly

Sorry the 'no follow' should be 'Disallow'

A robot.txt file tells spiders that look at your site what they can and can't look at / parse

It's a simple text file that includes things like the following:

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /cgi-bin/
    Disallow: /drafts/

The disallow line says don't visit the sub-folder 'drafts' and 'cgi-bin'

So if you create a draft site for a client named rolys-site and place it into the subfolder 'drafts' the search engines will not include it within search results for 'rolys-site'

http://www.robotstxt.org/robotstxt.html
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

With xara.hosting you can also password protect a site. Control Center > Open Web Space and scroll down the list of options on the right under the hamburger drop down list.

Hi Egg and Gary, thank you very much for the additional explanations. Once Xara.hosting is fixed up I will try and put in application your suggestions and come back for more support which I am quite sure I will need. Thanks again.

Ciao

Roly