Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question What are these files with ".1" in the filename? (How do I hide them/stop them?)

Hello

I have started to see lots of extra files with ".1" added to the end of the file name just before the extension.

e.g. in addition to
    MyProject.xar, I now also have
    MyProject.1.xlsx

And the same is true for other applications like MindManager?

WTF - what ARE all these files? They seem to be identical copies of the file I knowingly created WITHOUT ".1" in the name.

But they are irritating me because I don't know which file is the real one and they cluttering up my hard disk!
    How do I stop them being produced?
    And/or how do I hide them?

Apologies if this is a newbie question.

Many thanks

J

PS I am using Xara Designer Pro 10X (x64), Windows 10 (x64)

Default Re: What are these files with ".1" in the filename? (How do I hide them/stop them?)

.xlsx is a MS Excel file type

if you get numbers appended it may because you saved from excel with multiple windows [of the same sheet/s] open - but that's only a possibility

if you don't use Excel then I have no idea....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: What are these files with ".1" in the filename? (How do I hide them/stop them?)

ok - I've never used mindmanager, but looking at what it does, I'd say it possibly uses the xlsx data sheet format as well for compatibility [it is an open MS standard] - so maybe there is a duplication there?
    Nothing lasts forever...

APOLOGIES !!!

Horrendous typo. I meant to write

MyProject.xar, I now also have
    MyProject.1.xar

Meanwhile it how seems that I am getting the problem because I am using SyncToy (v2.1) to synchronise data between my two PCs.

Apparently SyncToy can't cope if you rename a directory [GRRR]

Anyhow I now have hundreds of
    [whatever-name].1.[whatever-extension] files all over the place, which are exactly identical to my
    [whatever-name].[whatever-extension] files (including my .XAR files!)

It's no longer a Xara-specific problem but any idea how to delete them all at once?

you could try:

in a folder hold down shift and right click with the mouse to get the context menu - holding shift will give you an extra option: open command window here - click this

then for example type in: erase *.1.xar to erase all the xar files appended .1
    or erase *.1.* to erase all file types so appended

WARNING: - get the syntax right, this is irreversible there is no retrieving what is erased ! - if in doubt practice on a copy folder first
    Last edited by handrawn; 17 January 2017 at 02:10 PM. Reason: window not widow... :) what did I just say...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    you could try:

in a folder hold down shift and right click with the mouse to get the context menu - holding shift will give you an extra option: open command widow here - click this

then for example type in: erase *.1.xar to erase all the xar files appended .1
    or erase *.1.* to erase all file types so appended

WARNING: - get the syntax right, this is irreversible there is no retrieving what is erased ! - if in doubt practice on a copy folder first
    Yes exceedingly dangerous!

Fwiw, In the end I dug out an old copy of everything.exe from voidtools, and did something similar doing it file extension by file extension.

Out of interest how do you guys do your synchronising between computers. There has to be a better way (other than using the dreaded 'The Cloud')

Cheers

J

I use it [the command routine] quite a bit for batch renaming of files...

I use acronis for syncing and backups.... not the cheapest solution, but I've been with true image practically as long as I have xara... and yes, that means the cloud... off line I'd network locally [but then I have a server]
    Last edited by handrawn; 17 January 2017 at 02:27 PM. Reason: trying to do too much at once, once again...
    Nothing lasts forever...

actually - if you have your own server you can use it as your own cloud on the internet if you wish as an alternative to someone else's - but the advantage of the latter is it's in a physically different place as far as the backup side goes....
    Nothing lasts forever...