Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: How do i...

Sorry to be asking yet another question, but how do i create the black "patterns" like those used around/over this image - http://www.ragingbutterfly.net/enter.jpg
    IP

Sorry to be asking yet another question, but how do i create the black "patterns" like those used around/over this image - http://www.ragingbutterfly.net/enter.jpg
    IP

No problem... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Use either the selection tools, or an Airbrush, and create the borders in a simple shape - i.e. long rectangles, circles, spirals, etc...

Best to use black for the shapes also.

Then run any one or more of the native filters that come with Photoshop - the ones in the "Artistic","Brush Stroke", "Distort", "Stylize", or "Sketch" menus (for starters!).

Not all filters will have/show an effect on a just a black coloured area. But try them and see 'til you find one ya like.
    And you should also change the Blend Mode of the border layer to Multiply. That will hide any white that some of the filters can/will produce.

For this example image, i used the airbrush to create my borders, then applied these filters:

- Filter/Stylize/Diffuse... (frazzled edges)
    then added this one:
    - Filter/Distort/Ocean Ripple... (big spaces and swirls)

To create some 'scratches' in the borders, you can either use a 1 pixel airbrush and just scratch around with the eraser (looks the best)... or you can try a filter, like FILTER/Brush Strokes/Angled Strokes...

Have fun! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lowtech-borders.gif 
Views:	223 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	18845  
    IP

Ooh, thats so easy once you know how. Love it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by Miss Blue on January 10, 2002 at 22:50.]
    IP