Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Email Links issue in Imported Excel

Following kind advice about creating "tables" I have imported an Excel table of cells from Excel as Enhanced Metafile. The cells include multiple different email addresses. Once imported into XWD all email cells assume the same email address. If I change one to what it should be all the rest change to the same email address. I have tried importing from Excel with the cells converted to links and then again "as typed" without the link. The outcome is the same. I presume that for some reason XWD is seeing only one object instead of multiple email links.

Any idea about a solution or workaround would be appreciated. Many thanks for any help.

Default Re: Email Links issue in Imported Excel

Hi HotFrog, I think your problems are being created by using an EMF which isn't ideal for this purpose.

I suggest placing you Excel spreadsheet within an online hosting site like Dropbox, Google Sheets or (Senior moment, I can't remember the Windows Cloud name) then include this in a placeholder on your site and it should work without issue.

EDIT: One Drive!
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Many thanks, but sorry I do not follow. Dropbox is a cloud and Google sheets is a spreadsheet, aren't they? Could you give me a guide to how to use Dropbox or Google Sheets to achieve the end results that I outlined. What is an EMF? Many thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Hi HotFrog, I think your problems are being created by using an EMF which isn't ideal for this purpose.

I suggest placing you Excel spreadsheet within an online hosting site like Dropbox, Google Sheets or (Senior moment, I can't remember the Windows Cloud name) then include this in a placeholder on your site and it should work without issue.

EDIT: One Drive!

Thanks Egg. I have now got past the problem. It is a big workaround and tedious. I used Google sheets but the formatting does not transfer very well. The columns come across much wider and the cell fill colour did not copy across. However, it is now working and look OK but not quite as intended. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Regards

Can't understand your issues. Are you Publishing the Sheet to the Web?

See attached and feel free to mess with the Google Sheet.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thank you Egg. I have tried using the file demo.xar that you kindly supplied. When I use this file it just presents a plain large rectangle, magenta in colour with some helpful words below it. I opened the file with a text editor and can see that there is a lot of repetition in the code so probably the spreadsheet is there somewhere. Can you please advise about how I should reveal the spreadsheet? Many thanks.

Open it in Xara and click on the preview button HotFrog.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	preview.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	115939  
    Egg

I am sorry but I am a real dumbo as I do not understand what you are saying. You say "Open it in Xara" so I have done that and I can see the spreadsheet but I cannot edit it. When I close the preview it reverts to a magenta rectangle so I cannot see the spreadsheet for editing. Sorry but I am completely lost. I appreciate that you are kindly trying to help me but I do not understand. Thanks for any further help.

Hi HotFrog, if you can't follow me, that's my failing, not yours. Try this or watch the video:

1.Create a new spreadsheet in Google Drive
    2.Adjust/Amend it until your happy with the content
    3.Google Drive automatically Saves the document so you don’t need to.
    4.Go to File / Publish to the Web
    5.Select Embed, Sheet1
    6.Copy the selected iFrame text
    7.Create a rectangle in a Xara web document
    8.Select Web Properties / Placeholder /Body
    9.Paste in the Google code.
    10.Preview
    11.Googles iframe code is very mean and opens in a very small scrolled window
    12.To change tis add the following after the “headers= false” code
    13. scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0" height="500" width="670"
    14.Adjust the height and width values until it fits without scroll bars showing
    15.When happy you can also adjust the placeholders W & H to match so you know how much screen real-estate it takes up
    16.Alter any value within Google Drive and within 5 minutes it will show within the website, all without opening / publishing from Xara
    17.Remember, if you require a Table within Xara, a Google Sheet can display as a simple table

WATCH IN HD

EDIT: the inline code to the video isn't showing at present (Possible work going on on the server)

Try this link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itQw...=youtu.be&hd=1
    Egg

Many thanks that is brill. I think I can work with that. Thank you for your help.