Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Text clipped left and right in browser before switching to mobile variant

This question is open to anyone but came about from viewing one Eggs demo files.

I’m not fully up to speed with the Web Designer way of doing things, so I just downloaded and had a quick look at Eggs example file (iggy-text-variant.xar) from this post here.

Something that slightly confuses me is that when viewing the [Main] variant and I gradually shrink the width of the browser window, there’s a point where the left and right edges of the text can be severely clipped before it switches to the [Mobile] variant.

I realise that as the window gets smaller a horizontal scrollbar appears (to allow scrolling left and right), and I also appreciate the page itself has been set to be centred in the browser, but is there a way, when making the browser width smaller, to make the left side of the page stop once it gets to the left edge? This would then mean that only the text on the right would be clipped, and to view it you would only have to scroll one way (to the right). I think would be less confusing for most end users - or would it?

Just a thought, but do left handed people shrink the browser window pulling in from the left? Maybe they don't because as English readers read from left to right, the same inclination might prevail for left and right handed people. Any left-handers out there?

Thanks.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Default Re: Text clipped left and right in browser before switching to mobile variant

I think would be less confusing for most end users - or would it?
    I can understand what your saying Jono but in reality how many vistors resize their browser window down to view variants. They don't even know there is a variant. If I was on my desktop & got this left/right clipped view I would merely enlarge the browser to view full content.

Or more simply put, a visitor either see's the desktop (Main) variant or the mobile variant. It's the difference between variants and responsive sites.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Text clipped left and right in browser before switching to mobile variant

Thanks Egg, what you say makes sense. I was sitting at a desktop PC when thinking about this. I am getting confused by the difference between variant and responsiveness. Is there a way of left aligning the page rather than having it centred it?

There is but on running out of space it centres again. Here's some Acorn code:

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...eft-Align-page
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks Egg I'll take a look. Sorry to ask another question, but in one of Acorns' (Nov 2014) posts it mentions relying on "Tweaksets". Are they (whatever they are) still relevant for the latest versions of Web Designer?

Tweaksets contained workarounds for unsupported features. Some have now been adopted in Xara's later releases but others are still useful.
    The Tweaksets are in a 'sticky thread at the top of the Web Design Chat forum
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tweakset.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	115936  
    Egg

Oops sorry should have spotted that link. Excellent, thanks.

Not at all. When you've been wandering the dark, dank, lonely corridors of TG over many years even some simple things start to register within even my rapidly diminishing memory .....
    Egg