Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumb question

Default Dumb question

In the photo widgets there is an oddity that is confusing myself (and at least one other member).

In all of the sliders I've looked at, the image is clickable. Yes, you can make sure it does nothing when clicked ... just don't put the tick in "do nothing" because then it does try to open some imaginary link.

The conundrum I am having is I would like the image, when clicked, to simply advance to the next slide.

Yes, I know there are buttons above that can be clicked to go to each of the different slides, however, I want it to always advance 1 slide. How would one do that, or is it even possible in Xara?

The other curiosity is concerning that bar with the slide numbers.

WHY, not being rude but want to EMPHASIZE the question (I learned to type on an actual manual typewriter - no screen - in the very early 1970's, and that's how it was done), can we not see the code for any of the buttons within the sliders so that they could simply be inserted as the link for the image?

The only thing I really miss from WebPlus X8 is the "Slider Studio" where you could easily create any of these effects. Xara seems to keep an awful lot of the coding under wraps so we can't see it.

Default Re: Dumb question

Which slider?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Cycle 2 Widget is the one being used, but the results are the same on all I tried from the local designer gallery.

Whenever the cursor is moved over the image, a hand appears as though the item is clickable.

If I go into web properties and tell it to "Do nothing" (top/first choice) when clicked, it tries to open another web page. If the cursor didn't turn into a hand, then it isn't likely that someone would click on it --- problem solved. Unfortunately, Xara didn't like that idea.

So, I put a pound sign (No, "#" isn't a "Hash Tag" it's a pound sign. I still can't fathom why kids call it a "Hash Tag" ... looks nothing like any hash I've ever had) in the "Link to Web or Email address" then clicking does nothing. However, a hand still appears leading my visitor to think the image is clickable and that something will happen if he clicks on it.

Works the same with all of the "Cycle" widgets I've tried.

I found that if the image was clicked, it took the visitor to Top Of Page, which I don't want. Changing the LINK TO from just # to #nogo, kept that from happening. But, as you've found, just changing Web Properties to DO NOTHING if clicked, sent me off to a Page Not Found message.

And, as you've described, the hand still appears in either case, at least inviting a click from a site visitor....perhaps thinking as I did, that it might also advance the slide. My preference would be for the hand to appear only when hovering over the control buttons.

And, I agree about better control of the button strip. While playing with different images, it often blended in to the image background, so that I could barely see it.

Quote Originally Posted by RistonRants View Post
    And, I agree about better control of the button strip. While playing with different images, it often blended in to the image background, so that I could barely see it.
    In the widget editor, go to the Page & Layer Gallery, choose the offending frame and open it up. In the MouseOff layer, open the "Group" then open "Shadow Group". Right click on "Shadow" and choose Color Editor and change the color of the shadow. Next, change the Blur and Transparency settings so that your bar stands out.

Try the attached
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Try the attached
    Thanks, Egg. That works, but I'm not quickly snapping to what the difference(s) is. Looking at a freshly imported version side-by-side doesn't quickly show what you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Dijenga View Post
    In the widget editor, go to the Page & Layer Gallery, choose the offending frame and open it up. In the MouseOff layer, open the "Group" then open "Shadow Group". Right click on "Shadow" and choose Color Editor and change the color of the shadow. Next, change the Blur and Transparency settings so that your bar stands out.
    Most excellent. Got it. Thanks.

Hi Riston. I just placed a rectangle with a 100% transparency, with hole for nav buttons over the slider.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Poifect! Thanks.