Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How about a "Scapple-clone" mode for Xara?

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Xara's "Bang Text" mode:

With the Text Tool, just click and type and use typewriting mode (hit the Enter key to end a line and start an new one).
    Click any where and repeat.

Refinements:

1. Scribe out a text box first and then type with words wrapping automatically - this allows resizing.

2. Autocreating bordered boxes that appear on rendering the page:

Select all your text on the page and apply the Name HTMLBlockText.

3. In the Page HTML code (head), add:

The boxed text so created still does not have any autoconnectors.

Acorn
    Yes that is a bit of a faff, and only is visible in HTML. And as you say it still doesn't have any connector of any sort.

J

I like scapple; nice program, just right for what it's intended for - roughing ideas out, so thanks for bringing it to my attention
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I used Scapple a fair bit when preparing a dissertation paper a while back. It is simple to use and an excellent thinking tool, but I had to be very mindful not to waste time fiddling about making everything look nice (changing colours, box alignment, border sizes etc) rather than getting on with task in hand!

Don't forget that SmartShape Text Panels can be useful for this kind of thing, allowing you to have text with a predefined border and background colour. When combined with the grid you can rapidly create simple structure charts and flow diagrams. You could even create your own collection of pre-formatted shapes to copy and paste to further speed up things and provide consistency. I wish Xara would make some flowchart symbol SmartShape text panels (and elastic connectors to go with them!). Inkscape has connectors, but I've never used them beyond a quick play.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I like scapple; nice program, just right for what it's intended for - roughing ideas out, so thanks for bringing it to my attention

Yes, although it has a minor bugs/wrinkles, it's brilliant as for as it goes.

I still say it's just a shame you CAN'T make it things look nicer.

i.e. It's a shame you can't work in the way in Xara.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonopen View Post
    I used Scapple a fair bit when preparing a dissertation paper a while back. It is simple to use and an excellent thinking tool, but I had to be very mindful not to waste time fiddling about making everything look nice (changing colours, box alignment, border sizes etc) rather than getting on with task in hand!

Don't forget that SmartShape Text Panels can be useful for this kind of thing, allowing you to have text with a predefined border and background colour. When combined with the grid you can rapidly create simple structure charts and flow diagrams. You could even create your own collection of pre-formatted shapes to copy and paste to further speed up things and provide consistency. I wish Xara would make some flowchart symbol SmartShape text panels (and elastic connectors to go with them!). Inkscape has connectors, but I've never used them beyond a quick play.

To get clear, the whole point about connectors is that normally when designing a complex bit of logic (e.g. flow diagram, business processes etc) you don't know exactly what you want before you start, and things are likely need to need to move around all over the place before you've finished.

The problem with most flowdiagramming software is that it tends to look pretty scruffy.

Xara would be broadly fine for going straight to the final version of such a thing. But absolutely diabolical for working on any kind of 'living document' involving complex flow of logic that keeps changing.

It's such a shame. It seems to me that All Xara needs is connectors, as everything else is already there.