Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where is the index file?

This is my second question.

I have now created a two page website and tried to publish it. The outcome is a little odd

On IE shows a list of files that if clicked on react in the expected way OK. In Chrome it displays but uses the index page from my old website that is completely different, I have twice deleted every file in my ISP webspace and published it using Xara Web Developer etc. The outcome has been the same each time.

The file list on my ISP webspace does not show an index.hml file as expected. I previously thought that the ISP looked for the index otherwise it just lists the files.

Googling this issue has found nothing relevant but it found a load of clothes shops!

I would be very grateful if someone would kindly enlighten me. Many thanks for any help.

Default Re: Where is the index file?

Two things might be happening here. First, clear the cache, F5 or Ctrl + F5 and see if that helps.

The second though if you deleted all the files is not the problem, is Xara by default exports index.htm. If your old site has an existing index.html file the browser will load it, even if it is older because (unless this has changed) .html takes precedence over .htm.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Two things might be happening here. First, clear the cache, F5 or Ctrl + F5 and see if that helps.
    Gary, in passing F5 does not clear the browse cache, it refreshes the page.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

ISPFileList.pdf

Thanks you gwpriester. I wish I had your insight.

After operating F5 both the chrome and ie browsers show just the file list. I am aware that chrome has this long standing thing about its cache but it did not enter my mind this time! Attached is a clip of the files on the ISP website. Do you know whether there should be an index file and if so have you any idea why it may be missing?

Again thanks again and to anyone else who can further enlighten me.

Yes. You have named your home page News. Your home page file name should be index.

Many thanks.

It is great when you know what you are doing. Much appreciated.

It's not that we know what we are doing, it's just after you make the same mistake a few dozen times you vaguely remember what it was you did wrong.

Thank you :-)

It's not that we know what we are doing, it's just after you make the same mistake a few dozen times you vaguely remember what it was you did wrong.
    Well that used to be the case Gary but more & more lately there's just no recollection at all. Recently I did a TG search for a problem I'd been having regarding Fill dpi's and found I'd answered my own question nine years earlier and had no memory of how to do it now!!!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Well that used to be the case Gary but more & more lately there's just no recollection at all. Recently I did a TG search for a problem I'd been having regarding Fill dpi's and found I'd answered my own question nine years earlier and had no memory of how to do it now!!!
    Now that is REALLY funny... and oh-so true!!