Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    On Lake Couchiching near Orillia, Ontario

Default adding video creates impossibly long upload

Using Website Designer 365 Premium: I'm trying to add three MP4 demonstration videos to a website. Just adding one (20 minutes of video) causes the upload time to increase from 15 seconds to many hours. I stopped after about six hours.

Oddly, the Publish tracking, which usually stops at 100%, was reporting a 335% when I gave up. Isn't 100% the only possible number?

What should I be doing?

Default Re: adding video creates impossibly long upload

This does seem to be a very long load time. Sadly many of your visitors could have passed on to a better life waiting for the video.

Probably best to post to YouTube of Vimeo and then use a linked iframe to add the video to the site. Upload the video then get the embed code and add it to a placeholder rectangle that is the same size as the video.

Have a look at the attached .web file. It links to a video on YouTube.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Just to make it clear if you upload a 250MB video, every visitor would have to download all of that 250MB before it could be viewed. At a very fast 20Mbit/s download speed, this would take 90 seconds.
    YouTube offers live streaming that will start rendering the video after a short buffering period and will continue to deliver at rates down to 2Mbit/s.
    Your approach at this speed would take 15 minutes to get started.

YouTube might be smashed aside in the future with it losing control to bit torrent deliver over HTTP using MPEG-DASH. Who knows.
    Perhaps xara/Magix could be early adopters of THEOplayer: https://www.theoplayer.com/features/mpeg-dash.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

At 50 Euros a month Acorn?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    At 50 Euros a month Acorn?
    Egg, I was suggesting Xara cloud-host the product so the cost would not hit the designer,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

On Lake Couchiching near Orillia, Ontario

Thanks, Gary & Acorn. I eventually was able to upload the 3 videos quickly just using the "Import file" direction. Don't know what was wrong before, but it may have been my WiFi connection at a borrowed location in Florida.

As they are MP4s, Xara apparently supports them automatically. They stream immediately when users click on the start arrow.

That page below, if you're interested:

http://www.bayshorepottery.com/videos.htm