Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Insert date field

I am absolutely brand new to the Xara Web Designer product. I have previously used a very old (MX) version of Dreamweaver.

Today I have spent a couple of hours trying to find a way of inserting a date field into a web page. Preferably I would like one that shows current and updated date and another that inserts the current date that is not updated.

I have searched the Xara Web Designer Help and it does not even find the word "date", searched widget libraries, Googled every which way and searched this forum. I have turned up nothing at all. I cannot see why it should be so difficult to find the solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Default Re: Insert date field

Welcome to TalkGraphics

I bet Acorn when he checks in will have a script you can add via a placeholder. A placeholder is simply a rectangle or any shape to which you can insert code or script to your site. See Help > Index > Placeholder Objects.

You can try this page http://www.w3schools.com/js/js_dates.asp I tried the first script, added to the Body section and it works.

Many thanks wpriester.

Much appreciated, I will give it a try.

I followed gwpriester's kind advice and got it working fairly easily. However, it gave a very long string including the date and time down to the second and stating the time zone as well. I could probably fiddle about to reduce the string to just the date. However I have no clue about how to format (text, fill colours etc.) Any further help would be very much appreciated. Many thanks.

BTW, on a different subject, I was bit bemused to find no Tables feature in the Xara product but I found a very helpful article stating that a faux table may be constructed using multiple rectangles. It took me several hours to construct a working 7 row by 3 col table but I am happy with the outcome.

Start from this Thread's Post #8: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...814#post558814.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by HotFrog View Post
    I was bit bemused to find no Tables feature in the Xara product but I found a very helpful article stating that a faux table may be constructed using multiple rectangles.
    Xara, also provides a Table Widget, populated with CSV values. You can useMS Excel and copy into a Xara page. You can link to Google's Sheet and embed that. Dig back in TG a bit and you might find my faux table template that emulates MS Word using stretch boxes.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank you Acorn for both replies.

I got as far as importing an Excel metafile format but found that although the text was editable most other features needed a fresh import. You have made several more very useful suggestions which I will investigate.

Is there a specific reason why the very useful tables feature is not included in Xara web developer? I have found that tables are a fast way of getting a nice tidy layout for data and multiple links to other webpages. I run a sport results feature on the web. This involves linking in as many as 30 results pages for different age group and gender. I unusually use say a 2 col 15 row table and put a page link into each cell with a label. As far as I can see this is a tedious process in Xara.

Thanks again for all help.

As Acorn states spreadsheets (much better than tables) can easily be embedded from GoogleDrive or similar. The other great advantage is that you only need to edit/amend the Google Sheet & don't need to touch or republish the Xara file.

EXAMPLE

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host