Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default I am loving my new software program

Hi All

I have been using expression web for years. Editing was difficult. I`ve had Xara for a few days and
    have migrated my website to the xara servers. At least some of the pages. It might be a good time
    for a review before I get too far along. I make no pretense to be a web professional but help in the
    style and layout department would be appreciated.

The old site: http://www.woodsolutions.com/
    The New site: http://o7w3e4.xara.hosting/index.htm

BW Barry

Default Re: I am loving my new software program

Hi Barry

Good work so far.

Any new websites posted in this forum automatically get put in moderation until one of us moderators comes along and says, Oh hey, a moderated post. And then we approve it.

So if you don't see your thread appear instantly, that's the reason.

If I might make a suggestion. Your banner would be a lot cleaner if you get rid of the globe and just center your logo (maybe even make it a bit bigger) on the banner.

Barry, you can rename your http://{gibberish}.xara.hosting/ URL by going to the Xara Online Control Centre: https://www.xara-online.com/us/control-center.267.html and under Domain click My Domains and changing the {gibberish} under Your Subdomain.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Mr Acorn
    Why do I need to follow your advice. I`m using the xara servers as a temporary loaction for testing.
    Gibberish ...sounds insulting. I need layout and design input not hosting help.
    Thanks...I guess!

Hi Barry, your on your way to a nice website, stay with it.

Ciao

Roly

Acorn was suggesting that you can change the name of your xara.hosting account. Which as you explained is not necessary because you are using it as a staging ground only. We get it.

Quote Originally Posted by golash View Post
    Hi Mr Acorn
    Why do I need to follow your advice. I`m using the xara servers as a temporary loaction for testing.
    Gibberish ...sounds insulting. I need layout and design input not hosting help.
    Thanks...I guess!
    I was coming from a client-designer perspective. So you are on the phone to a client and you've staged your design to o7w3e4.xara.hosting and you want to showcase your work to secure the deal.
    Now get the client to type in the above. Far easier to spell out golash.xara.hosting (shows it's related to you) or even woodsolutions.xara.hosting (shows you care). Both are an expression of "layout and design".
    In your case, you are both the designer and the client. I only found this in http://www.woodsolutions.com/diywoodmachines.html.

{gibberish} is my immediate spam filter alert - if I can't pronounce it why would I be minded to visit it?

You did not initially explain that Xara was a "temporary loaction for testing". My suggestion would work for you and certainly for those that just intend to use the Xara web service for their sites.

Regarding your site, I found the detail in the original fascinating and I can see how CNC machinists would find this enticing. Have you considered how to attract customers to your primary products? Selling wood solutions would seem to be essential.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Regarding your site, I found the detail in the original fascinating and I can see how CNC machinists would find this enticing. Have you considered how to attract customers to your primary products? Selling wood solutions would seem to be essential.

That`s the hard part. I have contemplated placing ads in woodworking publications. It is amazing the cost of advertising for the space they provide.
    I have done posts in forums related to woodworking and made mention of my two software programs. Sometimes
    that is not appreciated by the forum users. Any thoughts on google Adwords. Good, Bad.... too expensive.

Do have a question related to the navbar. In the new site I have a thick line under the navbar. I would like to change
    it to match the silver color. How do I get a precise color match of the nav.

Regards Barry

[QUOTE]Do have a question related to the navbar. In the new site I have a thick line under the navbar. I would like to change
    it to match the silver color. How do I get a precise color match of the nav./QUOTE]

Select the line, then drag the eyedropper icon over the color you wish to copy.

Ads can be expensive. If you can put your thoughts into words, and you have some compelling information or techniques that is of interest to the publication, suggest an article to the editor. This is one way to get your name and contact across to the readers. And participating in appropriate forums is another good way to get your qualifications and contact information out to your market.

Hi

Ads can be expensive. If you can put your thoughts into words, and you have some compelling information or techniques that is of interest to the publication, suggest an article to the editor. This is one way to get your name and contact across to the readers. And participating in appropriate forums is another good way to get your qualifications and contact information out to your market.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. Very good point regarding an article to the editor.!