Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to create better web images?

Xara is my favorite tool to edit images for my blog, but not satisfied about the result.

Sample 1: The screenshots image halfway the article here
    Sample 2: The featured image with a record here (original image)

I usually export to size at 96DPI, sometimes bigger for a higher resolution, then bring to required web size with Paint, usually compress with www.compressor.io. Tried all kinds of combinations but I still did not figure out how to create a perfectly sharp images to the size (678x381px for featured images) and maintain the highest quality yet without too large files (for website speed optimization).

My brand new blog is growing fast and will move to a more professional HD theme soon, but feel like missing important knowledge that I have to learn asap. So all expert feedback is welcome!

Default Re: How to create better web images?

Here's a thought. People who visit your site will look at the images, but not nearly as critically as you will. So my rule of thumb is is the image convincing(for example is the color good and the detail OK), and does it illustrate what I want it to illustrate?

Unless you are dealing with a large amount of very large images, I would just go with Xara's 85% setting when you export a JPEG. If you need an image (usually a graphic) to be sharper and cleaner then export as PNG. PNG 256 or TrueColor or for transparent backgrounds TrueColor + Alpha.

I worry more about having the right content.

Thanks for the feedback. What is the '85% setting'? And what is the technical difference between PNG 256 or TrueColor?

on the basis that you are compressing your images and you say xara is a favorite image editor of yours, I think gary assumed you would know that 85 % refers to the default compression for jpg in xara

why are you going to paint and then compressing online - what advantage doies that possibly give over what xara can already do?

256 - index colour [ie a palette of 256 colour only]
    true colour - millions
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

'why are you going to paint and then compressing online'

Never tried that on Xara actually. I'm using it for 15 years or so but what I do with it actually very limited and rarely learn something new, until I really need it..

I've just been looking at this:

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...methods-please!

don't know if it is relevent to you or not

the compression of jpg in xara is variable, the compression for png is not as far as I know

it's true that for retina and 4K you might do better elsewhere

still mistified why you use paint to resiaze
    Nothing lasts forever...

In Xara 85% means 15% compression, which creates a decent image with a fair amount of compression. This is confusing for sure.

256 colors is 8-bit. TrueColor is 16.7 million colors is 24-bit. TrueColor + Alpha is 32-bit.

I suppose that is like 'transparency'/'opacity' - some programs have 100% as fuilly transparent, and some the opposite...
    Nothing lasts forever...