Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Krita: Darned Decent Photoshop alternative

I'm missing something extremely obvious with Krita?!

Firstly, the programme always opens with the 'Freehand Brush Tool'. Well, that's OK. Not too big a problem.

However, my problem is, that after I've drawn something with the Freehand Brush Tool, I cannot now move the drawn shape to another part of the canvas.
    What am I missing, that I haven't been able to work out how to do this simple task?
    Someone. Please put me out of my misery!

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    I'm missing something extremely obvious with Krita?!

Firstly, the programme always opens with the 'Freehand Brush Tool'. Well, that's OK. Not too big a problem.

However, my problem is, that after I've drawn something with the Freehand Brush Tool, I cannot now move the drawn shape to another part of the canvas.
    What am I missing, that I haven't been able to work out how to do this simple task?
    Someone. Please put me out of my misery!
    Rik, you need to have a layer on top of the canvas layer, then make a stroke and THEN use the Move tool to re-position your stroke. A stroke on canvas is a "set piece."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layer.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	115524

This is not "object oriented" art. It's canvas-based and layers must be used to move areas where you paint.

Consider this "Photoshop Light", ad there will be a learning curve because bitmap graphics are nothing like vectors.

My Best,

Name:	snowflakes-Snap-Art.jpg 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	115525

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    Thanks for the heads up about Krita, Gary.

Like others I've tried GIMP, but never managed to get my head around the UI.

Never used Photoshop, as I can't justify the expense ... Have no idea how many people that use Photoshop use pirated versions, but it sometimes appears that everyone over the age of 14 has a copy ... From the above comments it would appear that Krita may fill that gap in my software nicely.
    I'm a victim of circumstances, but can't complain about it. Photoshop 2.5 for Windows was my first version, and a book contract was waiting in the wings if I could become proficient overnight, as it were!

Adobe was happy to give me the most recent versions...until they weren't . The bottom dropped out of the "Photoshop book" market, with over 100 titles as of 2010.

But I still have a few bucks left in royalties and a good working experience with the program.

My Best,

Name:	Christmas tree 4.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	115526

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Rik, you need to have a layer on top of the canvas layer, then make a stroke and THEN use the Move tool to re-position your stroke. A stroke on canvas is a "set piece."

Name:	layer.jpg 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	115524
    Your image was a real help, Gary.
    And, I better come clean and tell you all that I was expecting the 'Shape Manipulation Tool, to be the one that moves things around.
    But, when I saw Gary's attached image, I could see that the tool to move things around would probably be a different one!

This is a free programme and yet it has features that would help me in Xara.

I use my Laptop to work in Xara.
    The touchpad has 'Gestures' that work in every other application I use.
    And yet, in Xara, I can't scroll up and down (as you would with the wheel on a mouse) using gestures.

Whereas in Krita, you can actually assign whatever function you want to the wheel, in settings. And that fuctionality then works if you are using gestures on the touchpad.

Try as I might, I cannot get that to work in Xara.

Just to nit pick here, yeah, Xara doesn't to that. But in a general sense, you're comparing apples to oranges, Rik. Krita is an image editor. Xara is a drawing program.

-g

Name:  abstract tree.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  5.5 KB

Just to nit pick here, yeah, Xara doesn't to that. But in a general sense, you're comparing apples to oranges, Rik. Krita is an image editor. Xara is a drawing program.

-g

Name:  abstract tree.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  5.5 KB
    Maybe I didn't express myself clearly?!

I'm not comparing Krita to Xara, in a drawing sense.

I'm talking about the frustration I have that scrolling doesn't work on my Laptop that I use Xara on.
    And yet, the scrolling function works in every other application I use on this Laptop, including Krita.

And I'm also making a point that Krita actually allows you to allocate your own personal functions to the 'Wheel' of the mouse.
    So, I'm saying that not only does Krita works when it comes to scrolling, it's great that it allows the user to personalise.

I hope I've cleared that up!!!

No, I "get it", Rik.

It's another reason to like a program.

Then you have to weight the positive goodies against the positive features, right?

Fwiw...
    Krita actually is not an Image Editor but actually a powerful raster- and vector based drawing application.

It has only very basic image editing tools – for all workflows having to do with editing photos it certainly isn't
    an alternative to Photoshop. When it comes to painting digital images from scratch, Krita is far ahead of PS.

I've not experienced a lag as handrawn has mentioned. I use an nVidea gaming card.
    probably not .... quote from krita site:

IntelHD cards might not be supported on Windows 10

nvidia should be ok, or at least better

... following on from what hoja just said, brushes were what made me try krita out and I did not take to the feel [it's a personal thing] unlike affinity photo - in a way there were too many option in krita... life is short
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...