Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default "Repel text under" not working on part of mobile variant

I have a multiple page website which I updated a single page with some additional text and images. The images repel the text with no problem in the 'computer' and 'tablet' variants, but the exact same images anchored to the same text shared across all variants do not repel the text in the narrowest mobile variant.

There is another text block on this page with additional images that does not have this issue. For now I have just left the images on this mobile variant to the side so they are not published. Has anyone run into something similar and have a solution?

Thanks,
    Paul

Default Re: "Repel text under" not working on part of mobile variant

Hi Paul

Is it possible for you to save just the problem page and upload it here?

Go to the page, right click and select Copy Page.

Open a new website document and Edit > Paste > Paste Page.

Delete the blank page. Name, save and upload here.

And we'll have a look.

Thanks for the response. I saw this earlier, but then Monday happened.

I thought about adding a link to the page, but figured it could be something simple that I was just missing. I have isolated the page and it should function at the different sizes too. (I quickly test this by just adjusting window size, etc.) I have moved the two photos in the narrowest mobile variant partially into the text so it shows how the text is not repelling around them. These are the top two photos. The ones below it in another long text segment work fine.

File Link

Paul

Well I looked and I cannot see why this is happening. Maybe Egg or Acorn can spot what is going on.

If nothing else works, you can always select everything on the smallest variant and stop sharing with other variants, then manually add space between the lines of text and add the photos.

Paul, anchored images don't repel.
    Stop sharing across Variants.
    The images seem to be in a group.
    Most importantly, repelling only works for Text Blocks, not Text Lines.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Good catch Acorn. Actually, anchored images do repel, I just tried this. But as you point out, not for a line of text, only for a text area.

So, Paul, for your smallest variant, you will need to cut and paste your text into a text area. And then the photos will repel the text.

Please let us know if you need more detailed instructions.

Thank you for the review and responses. It is much appreciated. I'll play with it a bit today. The segment where I am having this problem is a new segment to the page and the original one below it works fine with anchored images repelling. I did remove the anchor on one of them and it still doesn't repel so I think it may be a programming glitch of some kind. The anchoring can probably be removed completely other than that helped share it across all variants if the text was already shared that way. Perhaps these text segments are too long? I'll reduce the length of them and add news ones to see if that helps.

As for sharing across variants, that is one reason I chose Xara so that updating text would be a one step process instead of a multi-step process. My clients tend to update things enough that it will be a time saver in the end.

Thanks again for the help. One other reason I jumped into Xara was reading this forum before doing so and seeing the problem solving support was available.

Glad we could help.

This might be a bit of work but it will be worth it from what you said. Delete the smallest variant, then create a new small variant. Now that you know what the problem is (you need a text area rectangle) you can rebuild the mobile variant and not have to stop sharing between variants.

I'm not sold on the text rectangle yet because I've noticed they don't push other objects down the page when changed or even show all the text unless the box is adjusted. That is why I was not using those. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but will see what works and report back in case someone else runs into the same issue and needs a solution.

I'm not sold on the text rectangle yet because I've noticed they don't push other objects down the page when changed or even show all the text unless the box is adjusted
    I just tried this and here's how it works.

1. Create your text area (any size)

2. Switch to the Selector Tool and select the green text area rectangle.

3. Right click on the text area, select Position on Page > Push. Set your push parameters (space top and bottom).

4. Switch to the Text Tool and click inside the text area.

5. Paste your text.

The text area will push the bottom of the page down to accommodate the text.

If you have footer on the page, it will push the footer down as well.

You will need to use the Text Tool to drag the bottom of the text area down to the bottom of the page. I enable screen rulers (Ctrl + L) and drag a guideline from the left ruler to the left edge of the text area. This makes it easier to drag the bottom of the text area down.