Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default More Publishing help please

I have just published my website, so nervous but it all seems to be there I have published as a supersite, the first page is a little slow to download but it could be my computer. I have done it as a responsive site, it looks good on my tablet but on my phone, when I use the nav keys, a big transparent square comes up, like it's zooming in, is this normal? Here is the url www.gdwpcinc.com
    Thanks Chris
    PS Everyone has been such a help on here, thanks heaps

Default Re: More Publishing help please

Hi Rusty

Congratulations. That's a lot of work! Very handsome site.

I suggest a better Title for your site than HOME. You can use around 10-12 words and you should make the page title as descriptive as possible since search engines look here for a page and site description. The first few words also appear in the browser tab.

And one of those little icons that show up in the browser tab can add a distinctive touch. Create a small square, it can be any size, then with the square and it's components selected, click the yellow name tag icon on the Infobar at the top of the screen and Add the name favicon. When you publish, Xara reduces this icon to about 16 x 16 pixels and adds it to the browser tab, just like the TG on this page.

I looked at your site on my iPhone 6s and while I could use WiFi to load the page qickly, I used my rather average network signal to load the site and it does take too long. I know this sounds like a lot of work, but you are better off creating s variant for small screen devices with larger buttons and less content. Users can pinch and expand the content but that is an extra step you are asking her or him to do.

I hope these comments and suggestions help you make your very good site even better.

Hi Rusty,

...... the first page is a little slow to download
    Supersites only have one page, index.htm

What happens is all the #pages# in the Xara file are published as one single page unlike a standard website where each page is loaded independantly as requested.

Supersites are fine if the total content is small but I'd recommend you change your site to a Standard site as it does have quite a lot of content. For example all the Gallery large images are loaded regardless of whether the visitor ever clicks on this section. Okay, in reverting to a Standard site you may loose some animation features between pages but it's only eye-candy.

Finally, you have numerous email addresses in both the Classified & Contact pages. This is a spammers delight. Never use email addresses in a website like this.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

As an added note of constructive criticism I would suggest that you list where this is located.
    There is nothing to indicate where this is happening.
    The map only helps if you are already familiar with the area.
    Remember that your audience is worldwide.

+1 on not using the supersite. My wife's site was a supersite at first but the same issue with load times caused me to re-do it as a regular site and wow, it really made a big difference. The transitions were cool but not worth the slowdown.

Welcome to TalkGraphics bkjohns

I agree. Unless Xara can get a supersite to load faster, then it is better to so separate pages.

Hi Gary,
    Thanks for all the advice, I don't know why it's coming up with HOME as I have called it 'Gunalda & Districts Western Performance Club Inc. in the webpage and page properties? How do I stop the words showing as well?
    Everyone is advising not to use the supersite but the committee just loves it Probably will have to change next year when we will have a separate page for each stallion Thanks for your help, will try that with the little icon.

Hi Egg,
    Thanks for your advice, not sure what to do about the email addresses, how do I put a contact in for them? Thanks Chris

Hi Rusty

It sounds like you added the title to the website, which is fine. But page titles go in the Page section. (And remember to press Apply after each change)

You can link an email address as shown in my second attachment.

You can have a subject inserted into the Subject line of the email by adding a ?subject= after the email address.

So to add Response to your email after username@domain.com will look like this username@mydomain.com?subject=Response to your email.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	page title.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	115400   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	email link.png 
Views:	74 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	115401  

Do a test on your website using:

https://tools.pingdom.com/
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host