Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Printed Magazine AND Website Navigation

Hi,

I've not posted on this site before (as far as I know) though I did infrequently on the old Xara site. I found it particularly useful when I 'couldn't see the wood for the trees'.

That's the situation now. I produce a couple of websites using Xara Designer Pro and a printed magazine using the same. I'm not a complete beginner but I don't use the program professionally so there are many aspects of the program which I don't use.

The club magazine is printed and also uploaded as a pdf to the issuu site where it can be read as a (password protected) flip-book.

There are some disadvantages of the issuu flip-book and I did try exporting the magazine as a supersite to see what that was like. It was fine except that navigation between pages was inconvenient - there was no way of returning to the start, for example. I need some navigation buttons.

So my questions are these : What's the best/easiest way to upload the magazine as a navigable website? Can I add a layer to each page with the navigation buttons which I then choose not to print when producing printed copies? Should I make these navigation buttons sticky so that I can keep them out of the way and don't need to redesign the magazine?

If past history is anything to go by I might be missing something obvious - wood and trees!

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Ian

Default Re: Printed Magazine AND Website Navigation

Hi Ian

Probably the best way is to post the PDF. All of the pages are in order and your visitors can go through the document as their leisure.

Unless there is a specific reason for making a website.

Hi Gary

That's very good point - wood and trees indeed! Just at the moment can't think of a good reason why it should be a website - I'll keep the brain cells on the job.

Ian

Have you considered using a presentation site. The navigation is via the right/left arrow keys. You could use your header as a link to the home page. As well as being visible over the web you can print it as well provided you keep the page size to A4.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg,

Sorry for delay in replying - didn't notice your post. Since I last posted I have produced some A5 magazines which were printed and converted to pdfs for uploading to the issuu flip-book program/app. I have also uploaded the magazines as a supersite. For this I created a navigation layer with small arrows at the bottom of each page for <previous> and <next>. I make this layer invisible before printing. This has worked quite well and would, I imagine be rather like the presentation site option - I haven't used Xara to create presentations so I don't know.

There is a slight disadvantage with the supersite option and that is to do with the layout on tablets. I have mainly used Google font Open Sans but on tablets each line seems much shorter than when created, with a lot of white space on the right of each page. And, of course there are no italics or bold type.

It does seem that pdf exporting is the way to ensure consistency on all devices.

Regards,
    Ian

Glad you're sorting it Ian.

And, of course there are no italics or bold type.
    What, is that a limitation on tablets?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host