Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: Redraw of Apothecary and Haberdashery c. 1890

I LOVE it, Ron.

Would you ever be up for allowing my to filter your wonderful composition to degrade it slightly, to look more like a faded painting, please let me know!

It absolutely doesn't need anything else, though.

I hope Ron agrees to your suggestion Gary, Ron's work is fantastic and it would be great to see it as a faded painting.

Stygg

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    I LOVE it, Ron.

Would you ever be up for allowing my to filter your wonderful composition to degrade it slightly, to look more like a faded painting, please let me know!

It absolutely doesn't need anything else, though.
    Gare,
    I'd LOVE to see something new!
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

I did a oil paint filter. Anything like this Gare?

I can post a distress look too. Working on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	apothecaryhaberdasher_FotoSketcher.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	154.1 KB 
ID:	121884  

Xara's Facebook

1. NOT to take anything away from your work.
    2. NOT to take anything from your work!
    3. See #1.

Let me see, and this has to happen across a day or two, how I can add to your magnificent work without distractions, Ron.

You, you have a statement here.

This also applies to the oil filter you ran over your art previously in this thread.

Me? A lot of times I just work on a still life, and then modify it with a paint program and paint filters. This rendered model of a handshake lacks "human" qualities, ironically, so I painted over it and then mottled a lot of the flat surfaces with the selective application of a really good watercolor filter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hands-for-posting.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	121887

Should you encourage me (!), the composition will not look like the hands composition. I drive the software, as you do; the software doesn't drive us! Unless you have the Pro Pro Edition of Xara!

Name:	imagine fior me.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	121888

My feeling, for as much as I love Xara, is that a visual concept doesn't "belong" to a specific rendering software. And that's why I also feel that merely filtering something makes it different, but not necessarily better than the original. Filtering always removes something of the original; sometimes it's a good move, other times, it just hides something you didn't intend. Which is useful for me in a time crunch and I need to artificiality enhance some work.

If you have some free learning time, and want to go beyond filters to enhance a bitmap copy of your Xara work:

Rebelle

ArtRage

My Best,

Gary

Thanks, Gare!

(Unless you have the Pro Pro Edition of Xara!) ????

I'll look into both programs and see what I think.

What do you think of FotoSketcher?

Xara's Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Duke View Post
    Thanks, Gare!

(Unless you have the Pro Pro Edition of Xara!) ????

I'll look into both programs and see what I think.

What do you think of FotoSketcher?
    Fotosketcher is free and most capable set of filters that can be tuned, and even applied only over where you drag with the brush tool.

No foolin' around: The tools I grew up with, like Photoshop, CorelDRAW, Painter, 3D Studio Max, grew out of my price range to continually upgrade. This hasn't happened to anyone else, right? ;)

I think I'm working just as smart as I used to with leaner, less expensive, new programs. I don't buy "junk" just out of spite, solely because the price is attractive. I do my homework, and I promise not tom shill anything on tg.

Software gets my nod when it commands a price artists can bear, and the features truly work, supplement and occasionally replace some manufacturer who has priced themselves out of my own business.

ArtRage is nuts: a real competitor to Corel Painter at a fraction of the price. If your need is to create using media that looks and responds like real oils, a palette knife, pencil, kneaded eraser and so on. It's stripped down version is $30—$80 for the adult version—the developers worked for KTP/ Fractal Design for a long while, so you might note some UI similarities, not one in the least the bloody thing is FUN to use and play with as you learn!

Name:	ArtRage.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	121893

The effects are pretty...artrageous!

-g

Gare,

You're a mentor.

I'm slow of mind, and I have to admit, a little overwhelmed by all your points/statements/suggestions. Please forgive me for not expressing an appropriate response to all of your very kind and knowledgeable recommendations and help! I really appreciate you taking the time to share a little bit of your wisdom!

I will look at those programs for which you posted links. I also have to admit, I live on a shoestring budget. Purchasing anything requires for me to seriously count the cost.

I really do appreciate your critiques and for even giving me the time of day!

Xara's Facebook

Hey, Ron—

We're both, and perhaps all, in the same boat regarding software we think we need and what practically we can afford. I had to give one of my nephews an odd glance the other day when he said, "Well, that software is a business expense for you, isn't it? You can just buy it and then take it off next year's taxes."

I love my little dip! I had to explain to to someone for the umpteenth time that taking software off one's taxes doesn't get you your money back! You cannot make a living as an artist by spending yourself into poverty, and then using Accounting for Idiots™ to turn a payment deduction into a magic faucet that pours your investment right back into a Magical Unicorn bucket.

Ron, as soon as I get my watch fixed, I'll give you the time of day anytime, man! :) Here; I've been told that it's always 10:12am somewhere in the world

Name:	time.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	121901

Let's do continue this chat on my gallery, not yours, Ron. I hate "butting" into someone else's gallery. This is your place to shine, man.

Talkin' 'bout money, art, and the cosmos

Name:  MedumSmily.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  5.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Hey, Ron—

We're both, and perhaps all, in the same boat regarding software we think we need and what practically we can afford. I had to give one of my nephews an odd glance the other day when he said, "Well, that software is a business expense for you, isn't it? You can just buy it and then take it off next year's taxes."

I love my little dip! I had to explain to to someone for the umpteenth time that taking software off one's taxes doesn't get you your money back! You cannot make a living as an artist by spending yourself into poverty, and then using Accounting for Idiots™ to turn a payment deduction into a magic faucet that pours your investment right back into a Magical Unicorn bucket.

Ron, as soon as I get my watch fixed, I'll give you the time of day anytime, man! Here; I've been told that it's always 10:12am somewhere in the world

Name:	time.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	121901

Let's do continue this chat on my gallery, not yours, Ron. I hate "butting" into someone else's gallery. This is your place to shine, man.

Talkin' 'bout money, art, and the cosmos

Name:  MedumSmily.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  5.4 KB
    That's cool, Gare. Comment all you want.

Xara's Facebook