Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Redraw of Apothecary and Haberdashery c. 1890

I just want to add that I'm've got the goal of Jot using gallery fills. I want the entire drawing to be without bitmap fills.
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

A lofty goal Ron. One thing I noticed however is the window muntons particularly over Sherlock, I understand they are dark but in my humble opinion they appear to be the same value as Sherlock, So it seems to me that either the muntons should be cheated a bit lighter or the figure darker to make Sherlock appear to be behind the muntons and glass, either that or a vertical rectangular transparency over the figure to separate the the figure from the glass and muntons mostly the muntons, anything to give a visual separation. Either way would work but it's your call. and I stand by your decision. BTW I really like it. Way to go Ron!
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

One more thing. The way delineators do it is to put a thin dark line indicating a cast shadow from mullions and muntons. This is not accurate of course but it does make things pop. So if the muntons are relatively dark, the shadow would be darker and the stuff behind lighter to separate. The mullions would be the deepest and cast the longest shadow and the cast shadow would be darkest on the glass, the shadow on the muntons slightly lighter the muntons are not flush to the glass but almost so they would cast a very thin shadow and so on. I hope I make sense here. I am aware that how I think of things as a delineator and how reality is is not the same.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    One more thing. The way delineators do it is to put a thin dark line indicating a cast shadow from mullions and muntons. This is not accurate of course but it does make things pop. So if the muntons are relatively dark, the shadow would be darker and the stuff behind lighter to separate. The mullions would be the deepest and cast the longest shadow and the cast shadow would be darkest on the glass, the shadow on the muntons slightly lighter the muntons are not flush to the glass but almost so they would cast a very thin shadow and so on. I hope I make sense here. I am aware that how I think of things as a delineator and how reality is is not the same.
    Everything you said makes perfect sense and I will make adjustments. Thanks Larry.

Xara's Facebook

Thanks Ron. I still remember many of the tricks I used to do, most of which I worked out for myself over many years, the name of the game was to make every thing "read" properly. I guess that was why I was in high demand as a delineator. At least I used to be.
    I have never considered myself an artist but a painter and knew my craft very well.
    As long as I can remember, I am more than willing to share what little knowledge I have.
    Did I ever tell you that my desk was one of the areas on the tour they gave clients, and
    many of those wrote saying how impressed they were particularly after stopping by my desk. I often then received a letter from management saying "well you did it again.
    Well that was long ago.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Now...
    Sometimes in editing complex drawings like this, I forget to adjust object's positioning after editing them or objects around them. Such was the case with Sherlock. It wasn't that window and he were not distinguished from one another, but that I had forgot to "move" him back behind the window. However, that's corrected now. I've also adjusted the stucco shading and texture, refined the wood framing, added some variation in the brick as I thought it looked too even in the overall shading, and did the same to the sidewalk curbing.

I'll take a break from this and come back to it later to see if I detect any other desired changes.
    Let me know, anybody, if you detect and oversight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	apothecaryhaberdasheryTG.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	115327  

Xara's Facebook

With these and the previous tweaks, the whole composition looks much more balanced. Great job, Ron!

God, Ron, you ought tro sell this one tro Jaqui Lawson eCards for 100,000 US!

I'm serious.

Except for the money part which is (slightly) exaggerated.

Mind-blowing, Ron. simply the Best.

-g

Fantastic Ron, The muntons show and everything looks really good. At least I don't detect anything obvious. Glad to see such well deserved glowing remarks from the others.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Thanks very much Boy, Gary and Larry.

Xara's Facebook