Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Bitmap Tracer Blues

Wow. As much as I dislike admitting it, I suck at using the Bitmap Tracer. A client gave me a Bitmap of a hand-drawn logo. It's pretty good for hand-drawn. However, I need a vector image of it. So, I thought I would put it through the Tracer. Much to my dismay, I can't figure out HOW to use the dang thing. And I need this logo bad.

Who here knows HOW the Tracer works and how to use it to trace a logo?

Thanks for your help,

Mark

Default Re: Bitmap Tracer Blues

Xara's bitmap tracer is very old and unless it's a very simple image really not up to the job.

I suggest you try Vector Magic Online. I believe you can get one free go, so watch their video first.

I tend to hand trace objects. Can you attach your logo?

http://vectormagic.com/home
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Here it is, Egg:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rindner-hypnosis-logo-5b.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	115173

I found Vector Magic online and it is GREAT! But it does cost more than my Xara DPX software. Wow.

Vector Magic should make a good job of that, you get 2 free goes.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

The font is Zapfino One that has had a hefty outline applied. Further modifications were done on the letter 'y'by connecting its tail up around to the letter 'n'. the first lowercase 's' has been modified with the lower section connecting to the letter 'i' and the letters 'H'and the last 's' have been squished a bit.

I've attached a quicky rendition for you to modify if you desire.

Mike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-000462.png 
Views:	159 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	115175
    Attached Files Attached Files

BTW, though some of the settings seem arcane, the free vector drawing application InkScape uses a good tracer (Potrace).

None of the tracing applications do a great job on everything. There will almost always be hand work, both in processing an image before tracing and post-trace cleanup and adjustment. I've used them all.

In your example, I would make a copy of the logo and remove the lettering on one version to just trace the shoosh. On another version I would remove the swoosh to just trace the letters.

In this case, I had the font so used it. I converted the type to curves in the above XAR file.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

The lettering could be traced using the magic lasso tool and the swoosh would be easy to trace using the shape tool In this thread you will find some handy tips and a video to show you how to use the magnetic lasso tool to trace a photo and create vector shapes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

@ Mark: Don't get an inferiority complex about the Bitmap Tracer in Xara, it's a bit Heath Robinson in its method.

I know people get attached to their logos, but in a case like this, I'd be inclined to persuade the client that his logo is a bit - you know - outdated, perhaps?

Offer him something completely different that he (and you) wouldn't be ashamed of.

Attached is just a suggestion...

Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	just a suggestion....png 
Views:	118 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	115176  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Take a look at this link for xhris website for a video training on Xara. You want chapter 3 for the Bitmap tracer at the 1:53:17 mark.

[URL="http://xhris.digitalred.net/"]

He use to have a write up of the Bitmap tracer but he has replaced this with the video training.

Ray

Xara's tracer does a great job with simple flat-coloured logos like this as evidenced by the attached mini tutorial. In fairness, it is absolutely not intuitive how to achieve this quality of result and it could be argued that many of these steps could be effectively performed automatically and intelligently by the Xara tracer in future updates.
    Attached Files Attached Files