Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Affinity Designer now released for windows

Gotta admit, I hadn't ever tried doing what you described in, well, anything for real work. (That is, the work I do in anything.)

There is a bit of clean-up in AD required after doing one of the Boolean operations, but it ends up the same...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-001456.png 
Views:	138 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	119038

The clean-up is some stray pieces left over from the intersection operation of the oval I used. Not that clean-up should be required, it shouldn't. The issue revolves around the creation of new curves of the shape(s). It's gotten better and likely will improve more as Serif is aware of the issue.

And I should point out that for certain things XDP does better--and it is my chosen promary vector design application--AD does other things that XDP cannot do and or it does it better. Whether this has utility for what you do I cannot say.

And I will say that Serif has worked out where and what format Xara applications put on the clipboard and one can copy from XDP and paste into AD just fine.

Name:	capture-001457.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	119039

Cannot say the same for XDP. AD copied objects paste as a transparent bitmap. Though PDF to AD (or vice versa) works as well. I often use two or more vector editors in conjunction, so that isn't an issue for myself.

Mike

Thanks for testing this!

I've just bought it, because they say I can return it. What I see so far is - for my narrow world of its usage - it is on par with Inkscape. The nondestructive part is good, but they simply left it out at "divide" where it would more or less reflect Xara's "ClipView". And boolean ops on groups seem not to exist.
    Xara misses these nondestructive booleans, but destructing is less of a problem, I usually keep a copy or draw something again. In contrast, I think repeating a task is a bit harder to do, e.g. when you want to cut something away from a group that has lots of shapes in it.
    So.. for my case it's unfortunately a bit more like DrawPlus. And I wish they would not have switched to a dark interface. Why did everyone switch to dark interfaces? I get depressed. I'm no vampire. Same with Xara (I forgot that command line switch).

Quote Originally Posted by me2 View Post
    Thanks for testing this!

I've just bought it, because they say I can return it. What I see so far is - for my narrow world of its usage - it is on par with Inkscape. The nondestructive part is good, but they simply left it out at "divide" where it would more or less reflect Xara's "ClipView". And boolean ops on groups seem not to exist.
    Xara misses these nondestructive booleans, but destructing is less of a problem, I usually keep a copy or draw something again. In contrast, I think repeating a task is a bit harder to do, e.g. when you want to cut something away from a group that has lots of shapes in it.
    So.. for my case it's unfortunately a bit more like DrawPlus. And I wish they would not have switched to a dark interface. Why did everyone switch to dark interfaces? I get depressed. I'm no vampire. Same with Xara (I forgot that command line switch).
    Clipping can be done by using the layers panel. Look up Clipping in the help.

Name:	capture-001458.png 
Views:	134 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	119040

The 1.6 release will have the option for a light interface. And no issues with it like in Xara products.

Name:	capture-001459.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	119041

In any case, AD will be a useful application. It does need to mature and it will. But not bad for a 1.x application.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Clipping can be done by using the layers panel. Look up Clipping in the help.
    Thanks for pointing me to this, I've looked it up, it works, one can do quite a lot with the layers, it's better than I thought.
    (though, clipping without using the (layer) organizer panel and looking more at the drawing would be nice)

Serif seem also to be working on a envelope warping (mould) tool, at the moment. In DrawPlus there was one, but it had a slight tendency to crash, I think.

I think Affinity Designer could become great. They are developing at the core features, something like this.

xara is also good but its kinda old fashioned. If xara improve there interface then i will be back on xara .
    Photo Clipping - This should be obvious but maybe not to everyone. It is not the software as the artist using it. If you look at this gallery you will see some very impressive art created by some very impressive Xara users. These users have picked Xara because of the interface and because it allows them to express themselves quickly and powerfully.

We look forward to seeing what you have created. With any software.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    We look forward to seeing what you have created. With any software.
    +1