Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Affinity Designer now released for windows

Full version of affinity designer now released - 40 GBP or 30 GBP offer, plus freebie brushes and stuff if you have been on the beta list...
    https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/des...-feature-list/

no web stuff to get in the way...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: Affinity Designer now released for windows

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    no web stuff to get in the way...
    Got mine, Steve €40.00 less 1 cent here. (no Simpliclean to remember to uncheck, either!)
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Just got a copy! Less than half the price of DPX upgrade and no subscription either

bought! I like some of the tools and how they work for that price, BUT in Xara there are many small and terribly convenient things that are not in Affinity. Finally - Xara is still my favorite! In any case, good that there is competition. This will contribute to the emergence of new things in Xara!

Got mine, Steve €40.00 less 1 cent here. (no Simpliclean to remember to uncheck, either!)
    Bob.

its not a replacement for XDPX - for instance it does not have brush fidelity [smoothing] - but it does have good typography and colour management, and the custom brushes render a lot faster on zoom [without the hack of having to group first]

plus it is not a CPU hog like xara is: xara hogs 15-20% of my CPU even with a completely blank document

and the pixel persona is very nice for colouring/painting in raster - but it won't replace SAI completely either, just complement it

The extent to which WEB has taken over from DRAWING in XDPX is understandable from the moneymaking point of view, but really the way it has gone is so skewed that other tools are becoming more and more attractive...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

[...] The extent to which WEB has taken over from DRAWING in XDPX is understandable from the moneymaking point of view, but really the way it has gone is so skewed that other tools are becoming more and more attractive...
    Quoted for agreement!

The extent to which WEB has taken over from DRAWING in XDPX is understandable from the moneymaking point of view, but really the way it has gone is so skewed that other tools are becoming more and more attractive...
    For me the clincher is the Open Type support that is pathetically lacking in Xara.
    Not that I would rush back to join the fold now, given the monumental cock-up that is their subscription method.
    To be honest, I would rather stick with Xtreme 5 as my Xara tool of choice, there really isn't that much that has been added since then that has excited me in terms of vector tools.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

I paid my money as well and I am quite happy now using it for some of the simple work that I still do. It still has a lot of missing tools mind you and some things are just a pain. Still think that Xara tops Affinity in useable vector tools and don't agree with your statement on the not much being added since Xtreme 5. I think the import and export of PDF's hugely more reliable now since Pro5 and if your a hobbyist the Art Brushes are great.
    Design is thinking made visual.

I bought it too, it will never replace Xara for me but I do like the Open Type support
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Also, using Xara interface nowadays feels like being Cypher watching Matrix world through the console... I mean... it's so old style!