Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default What happened to transparency darken featue? Is there another way to get same effect?

I often import (jpeg, pdf, etc.) black and white line drawings, sketches and graphics and was using the transparency tool selecting "darken" from the second pull down. It would take my b/w line drawings and quickly change to clean black line image with no background, that feature appears to have gone away. When I select line drawing transparencies I created using that feature, it now just lists "darken(old)".

Is there another way to quickly convert b/w graphics to transparency with no background?

Thanks for any and all suggestions

Default Re: What happened to transparency darken featue? Is there another way to get same eff

Quote Originally Posted by ncarchitect View Post
    I often import (jpeg, pdf, etc.) black and white line drawings, sketches and graphics and was using the transparency tool selecting "darken" from the second pull down. It would take my b/w line drawings and quickly change to clean black line image with no background, that feature appears to have gone away. When I select line drawing transparencies I created using that feature, it now just lists "darken(old)".

Is there another way to quickly convert b/w graphics to transparency with no background?

Thanks for any and all suggestions
    That transparency type has only been changed in name to comply with all other image and vector editing software.

The below screen shot has two copies of an image sitting on a colored rectangle. The image on the right has the Multiply transparency applied. The image on the left (which has been cropped) that is on top of the other has no transparency.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-000431.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	115041

Default Re: What happened to transparency darken featue? Is there another way to get same eff

Color Burn also darkens but also makes the darker colors more saturated.

Both transparencies have been applied to a grayscale gradient at basically 100% though Xara calls it 0%.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Transparency.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	115042  

if you are up to changing registry settings you can re-enable the old transparency types [with the exception of stained glass for which multiply is a direct replacement, and bleach for which screen is a direct replacement]

they will appear in the list appended: (old)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xdpx12 t-types(old).png 
Views:	97 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	115051

the registry key is: ShowLegacyTransparencyTypes

and it is in ...Options/Displays

I don't know if XaReg will do this... maybe; if so no need to edit registry

I still use hue a lot...... whereas I know what Mike means - the other transparency types are not directly replaced; they work differently, especially hue
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks so much for the solutions.....I thought I tried everything.....but figures it was right in front of me!

Steve - Does this work with DPX 365? I don't find this setting.

It's in the registry, Gary. I just looked. But not in XaReg.

thanks Mike - I didn't have it to hand to check [XaReg]

Gary:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Xara\XtremePro x64\12\Options\Displays
    Last edited by handrawn; 13 November 2016 at 10:03 PM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks Mike and Steve