Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Trying out Xara Graphic Designer 11

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bailey View Post
    @Acorn
    I never noticed that, but then I rarely use the fill gallery anyway. Good you pointed that out,we wouldn't want invisible orphans around the place.
    Sad to be an orphan but sadder if no-one can see you,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

@Acorn,
    sadder if no-one can see you
    Just out of curiosity, I filled a rectangle with a random selection of fills (one at a time) from the fill gallery, after each one I left clicked on the no-fill color icon to remove/clear the fill, then I used the select all command in search of invisible orphaned objects, Bummer, I could find any of the little rascals. Perhaps you could point me in the right direction so I could make visible some of these invisible orphan no-see-ums.

@Acorn,
    Just out of curiosity, I filled a rectangle with a random selection of fills (one at a time) from the fill gallery, after each one I left clicked on the no-fill color icon to remove/clear the fill, then I used the select all command in search of invisible orphaned objects, Bummer, I could find any of the little rascals. Perhaps you could point me in the right direction so I could make visible some of these invisible orphan no-see-ums.
    It's only those ones without jackets.
    What I was suggesting was if you had a shape with no line width and then set it to no fill, it may be selected then with no visible attributes. Click away and you've an orphan.

Rather fun when you're selecting objects and intersecting all shapes.

Acon
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

What I was suggesting was if you had a shape with no line width and then set it to no fill, it may be selected then with no visible attributes. Click away and you've an orphan.
    Yes I see what your getting at, but simply clearing a fill with the no-fill-color icon does not leave invisible orphan objects unless one is careless and removes the outline then the object itself would be the invisible orphan you are referring to, right? If you make such a mistake setting view quality to outline will show all objects regardless of whether they have visible attributes or not. I have always used the no-fill color icon to swap fills, never have I had the fear of creating some hidden anomaly. Thanks for clarifying the no-see-um dilemma, I will stand by my suggestion to use the no-fill-color icon as one solution to the question presented at the beginnig of this thread.
    I am using a fill and changed my mind and I want to remove it.

Bitmaps are complicated to me. Never used them before until I started playing with Xara. Anyway, I had to make another rectangle and then choose a fill from the bottom to cancel/reset out that bitmap.

Yes I see what your getting at, but simply clearing a fill with the no-fill-color icon does not leave invisible orphan objects unless one is careless and removes the outline then the object itself would be the invisible orphan you are referring to, right? If you make such a mistake setting view quality to outline will show all objects regardless of whether they have visible attributes or not. I have always used the no-fill color icon to swap fills, never have I had the fear of creating some hidden anomaly. Thanks for clarifying the no-see-um dilemma, I will stand by my suggestion to use the no-fill-color icon as one solution to the question presented at the beginnig of this thread.
    As ever, Xara applications offer multiple approaches,
    Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    It has always been - select the Fill Tool (G) and pick the Flat Fill option.

Acorn
    I agree Acorn, that's the way I have always done it if I simplywant to remove the bitmap fill.

@ Stygg Spot on.

@Acorn
    I never noticed that, but then I rarely use the fill gallery anyway. Good you pointed that out,we wouldn't want invisible orphans around the place.
    I did but didn't know why, Thanks Acorn
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.