Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default FTP error: Timeout was reached

I am using WD11 on Windows 8.1. It has been working fine ever since WD11 came out. Now I get the error "FTP error: Timeout was reached" when I try to publish. I can transfer files via Filezilla successfully using the same FTP settings.

Thanks for any help.

Default Re: FTP error: Timeout was reached

Welcome to TalkGraphics

The first thing to always try is close the program, then right click on the program icon and select Run as Administrator. Just do this one time and it will work or it won't. But it is always worth a shot.

If this does not work, how large is your site? And have you Optimized All Photos? Then closed and reopened the program. If you have a lot of photos that have not been optimized this can eat up a lot of available memory and slow things down. And it is always advised to make sure you keep the original photos in a separate location in case at some point you need the originals at the original resolution.

Hi gwpriester,

I tried both of your suggestions. No luck.
    I do notice that when I try to publish I don't see any export activity first. It used to be when I would publish it would do the export website process first before publishing. Now I see no indication of any activity, just a delay of 10 - 15 seconds I think, then the error window pops up.

Rats. Unless someone comes up with a better solution, file a support ticket at http://support.xara.com This is not right and they can help get this sorted.

Ok, thanks, I will try that. I also checked with our webhost, they said they could find no problems on their end. I also tried WD12, but it had the same problem. Funny that Filezilla has no problem.
    Last edited by Steven Williams; 02 November 2016 at 10:06 PM.

I have the exact same problem - FTP error: Timeout was reached.

I am on Windows7 64bit. I upgraded from Web Designer 9 Premium. Both are still on my machine. I just installed 11 Premium AND updated to the most recent version. The error does not go away. Using 9 Premium... it publishes without a problem. I never had WD10 premium, but 9 premium works fine. So... what is the problem here?

Since no 9one has come back here to post a fix for this, this is what Xara support sent to me - and it seems to work.

1) Close all Xara programs. (Important! the changes won't be made or have any affect on the program if it is open, and values would be overwritten when you close it.)

2) Go to Start > Run (if you're using Windows Vista or 7 press the Windows key + R) and type regedit then click OK.

3) Navigate to the registry key for the version of program you are using:

64bit: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Xara\WebDesignerPremium x64\12\Options\FTPLibcURL

32bit: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Xara\WebDesignerPremium \11\Options\FTPLibcURL

4) Change the value ConnectTimeout, LoginTimeout and ResponseTimeout to "20000" (this is the time in miliseconds, so this would be 20 seconds).

5) Close the registry and open Xara

Thanks for sharing this.

I seem to remember this fix from prior versions.

Increasing the timeout has no effect as I tried that over a week ago after getting that advice from Xara support via a ticket I raised.

I've had no reply since putting three different replies in to them and am now getting a little peeved waiting.

Hopefully somebody elese will have more luck getting this problem resolved, and glad it's not just me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    Increasing the timeout has no effect as I tried that over a week ago after getting that advice from Xara support via a ticket I raised.
    I've had no reply since putting three different replies in to them and am now getting a little peeved waiting.
    Hopefully somebody elese will have more luck getting this problem resolved, and glad it's not just me.....
    Is the file a lot of graphics and pages? Do you have 32-bit or 64-bit? What RAM size do you have? Have you closed all other programs to release memory?
    If you were to clone the file and cut half of it away, does it still hang?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat