Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: MENU ON MOBILE VARIANT NOT WORKING IN SAFARI

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Hi Tinkerbell.
    I've tested your site on my Android, iPhone & iPad and it works fine. One issue is in landscape, on any mobile, due to you having the menu Stick to Top you can't see menu items below Contact.

Another method I use on mobiles is to create a completly seperate page for the menu, rather than a pop-up layer. I prefer it and it takes the same number of clicks.
    Egg, thanks for taking the trouble to test the site on different devices for me. Glad to know it works on Android and Apple. Since you can get there after a fashion on the Windows phone perhaps I should stop worrying about it. Although intellectually speaking, I would like to solve it.

A menu page actually sounds like a simple. but brilliant solution. I might try that.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by edmiston99 View Post
    I wish I had a Windows phone to test it on. Let me know what you learn, if it's not too much trouble.

I don't know if you checked it out recently, but making the popup menu larger seemed to help too. Try it now if you haven't http://www.shutterqueen.com.
    Hi edmiston, it was only yesterday when I tried it, but I've just tried it again. Initially, although the menu dropped down the links wouldn't work until I got to the last one. Then I went back to the Home page and tried again and have eventually got them all to work. So that makes me think its a load-time issue. - I might want to take that thought back because having got to the testimonials page I can't get any of the links to work. Basically it's a bit hit and miss and I don't know why.

Next time I find myself somewhere with a faster broadband connection I'll try and remember to test it again and I'll get back to you. Watch this space!
    IP

Not very difficult to follow Frank, see attachment. You could of course expand on this idea.

I never once thought about doing it that way but its clean and simple and just works
    and its good for bigger sites if the menu needs to scroll
    good idea egg
    one of those i wish i'd thought of!
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.
    IP

The menu as a separate page is a good idea as a fix. Ultimately I would like to see this fixed as a pop up. It's certainly a lot more elegant and less clunky. Not to mention being how it works on other non-Xara sites from my experience.
    IP

Cheers Frank.
    @ Ed: Instead of doing it on a pop-up layer you could use a single button navbar. Search help file for this
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Cheers Frank.
    @ Ed: Instead of doing it on a pop-up layer you could use a single button navbar. Search help file for this
    Ok, feeling stupid that I never found that on my own. Sounds like it may be the answer. Hopefully this solves the iPhone issue, that being the main issue. Sadly, I don't have an iPhone to test. Thank you again.
    Last edited by edmiston99; 01 November 2016 at 07:13 PM.
    IP

I'll be honest Ed, I was searching navbars on another thread and looking at the Help file came over this. I'd seen it before & forgotten all about it.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

I'll be honest Ed, I was searching navbars on another thread and looking at the Help file came over this. I'd seen it before & forgotten all about it.
    I don't suppose you know if the navbars in general work good on the Windows phones? Any of the other major models. I know it works great on the Android and iPhone. Anyone reading this post, I'd appreciated your testing on any mobile device not mentioned. It's located at http://www.shutterqueen.com.
    Last edited by edmiston99; 01 November 2016 at 08:59 PM.
    IP

For anyone reading this post. The "Single Button Navbar" is the ideal fix for this. SOLVED. Search "Single Button Navbar" in "HELP" in your version of Xara, and voila. Delete all but one button, remove the "link" affiliate with that one button, start adding the dropdowns for the mobile pages, and modify. At least it works on Android and iPhone VERY well. There isn't any reason to think it won't work on the Windows or other phones. Anyone finding out differently, please post your findings. Thanks again everyone for the help. Especially you Egg.
    Last edited by edmiston99; 01 November 2016 at 09:24 PM.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by edmiston99 View Post
    For anyone reading this post. The "Single Button Navbar" is the ideal fix for this. SOLVED. Search "Single Button Navbar" in "HELP" in your version of Xara, and voila. Delete all but one button, remove the "link" affiliate with that one button, start adding the dropdowns for the mobile pages, and modify. At least it works on Android and iPhone VERY well. There isn't any reason to think it won't work on the Windows or other phones. Anyone finding out differently, please post your findings. Thanks again everyone for the help. Especially you Egg.
    Hi Ed, It seems to have been lost in the mix, but the reason I first got involved in this thread is because I was having trouble with the Single button nav bar approach on Windows phones. I just tried your site again and I'm guessing you've changed to this option because getting the nav bar to drop down is very temperemental, but when it does, at least the links work perfectly.

To recap for anyone who missed it. On a Windows phone, (or at least on my Windows 8.1 phone), the nav button does not respond to a tap, you have to long press it and that causes the phone's contextual menu to open as well (i.e. options to: open in new tab; copy link; share link etc), you have to tap away from this menu to close it and then usually the site menu is revealed underneath it. So, whilst you can get there in the end if you persevere, how many casual vistors will do so? Which takes me back to my original point, do we just ignore Windows phone users as inconsequential? Do we hope they'll persevere? Or do we ask Xara to try and fix this? My own theory of why it didn't work properly is because the menu is actually located on the mouse over layer and I think the clue is in the name here - it's the mouse over layer and on a desk top device the menu drops down when you hover the pointer over the nav button. Touch screen devices don't have the hover function ergo you need to tap. This doesn't work etc etc. I therefore wanted to move the menu to a pop-up layer rather than a mouse over layer, but the software doesn't let you....

This is beginning to feel like that song that anyone old enough to remember may recall - "There's a hole in my bucket dear Lisa", alternatively, Ground Hog Day.

Kind regards everyone.
    IP