Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
Here is an example of a sample site I did where the drop down menus are on individual layers http://gwpriester.com/menu-test/

I created my own buttons instead of using a pre-built nav bar. It requires more effort but the result in my opinion is well worth it.

Each layer can have it's own MouseOver layer, but you need to distinguish it with a number so MouseOver-1, MouseOver-2 etc.

MouseOver-2
Menu-2
MouseOver-1
Menu-1
MouseOver
MouseOff
GW, Thank you for the effort you have taken here, but the site on the link you provided doesn't seem to have a mobile version and it's the mobile version I'm concerned with.
As you know, there's no such thing as a mouse-over on a touch screen, so neither your buttons, nor the mobile nav button provided in the free template work properly on a Windows phone.
What I would like to provide is a button on the mobile site, which when tapped, opens the drop-down menu. I find I have to long press the button, which has the disadvantage of also opening the phone's contextual menu - i.e. open in new tab; copy link etc etc.
As mentioned in my last post above, I have tested the site on an android phone too and it seems to work on that when the button is tapped, but not on a Windows phone. (I could have a minor rant here about how Windows phone users are widely discriminated against but I'll avoid the temptation).

I have been playing a little bit with the Xara software, and contrary to what I said in my last post, I can't actually dismantle a ready made nav bar into its component parts - the soft grouping won't all ungroup. However I have done it with a button, moved the part of the button on the mouse-over layer onto a new layer; re-assembled the button and turned it into a nav bar. Finally I made the button on the mouse-off layer link to the new layer in the hope that I would now have to tap the button to get the menu to open. Although I haven't uploaded it and therefore haven't tested it on a phone; I have tested it on my PC with a narrow browser window and it still opens the menu on hover rather than on click. I find this quite frustrating!....