Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: read error

Default read error

hello,

i am using Xara PGD on Windows7. when trying to open a certain (important) file, i get: "A read error occurred (unknown) with the file: c:\... .xar".

the file was having an "unknown font - bold/italic" issue that i couldn't resolve, but this is not that uncommon in my experience and has never caused read errors before. unfortunately i haven't backed up in 2 weeks (i know), so i am hoping i can resolve this.

i realize this isn't much to go on, but that's all i have. any suggestions?

thanks in advance, gregg

Default Re: read error

Hi Gregg

Try File > Open Recent > Backups...

By default Xara makes a backup every ten minutes.

In the Backup folder, click to the right of Date Modified and you should see an arrow that opens a calendar you can use to specify a date or a certain range of time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	date modified.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	114764  

thanks for the tip. unfortunately i get the same message when trying to open the backup.

a really strange thing is that the last backup is over a month old, way before this problem occurred, and the backup has the same error. i don't know if it was referencing a .jpg i deleted or something?

Really hard to say. You should log a support request http://support.xara.com and let them look at your latest file. Sometimes they are able to open and save a corrupted file.

The other alternative is to start fresh and recreate the document. This can often be a real pain but sometimes it is all you can do and you know that this time you WILL back up frequently. (I always do--for a few days), after something like this happens to me.

yep, lesson learned. thing is i've never had a corruption issue with xara, so i got complacent. thanks for your help. i'll try xara support.