Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Carmarthen Fans - Vector Landscape

I've wanted to create stylised vector landscapes for some time, but have only recently got what I had in my head out onto the page. This is the Carmarthen Fans in Wales - this particular place is called Llyn y Fan Fach. It took about 6 hours and I mostly used the shape tool.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	114720

Default Re: Carmarthen Fans - Vector Landscape

That's impressive, Chris.
    I just wonder if it's possible to achieve a similar result with a photo and Xara's Bitmap Tracer or similar application like Vector Magic.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

I really like what you've done. My wife was at Trinity College - many years ago!

It brings back memories. Thanks for posting it.

Thanks. I've tried the bitmap tracer before, but found it didn't quite do what I wanted to achieve. It gives a pleasing effect, but not always as stylized as I would like. I'm not sure about Vector Magic as I haven't used it.

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    I just wonder if it's possible to achieve a similar result with a photo and Xara's Bitmap Tracer or similar application like Vector Magic.
    Bob.

Thank you. Ah, Trinity St David's? I was born in Wales, but lived in Sussex most of my life. I relocated here last year and can safely say the scenery has got my creative juices flowing!

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjrichards View Post
    Thank you. Ah, Trinity St David's? I was born in Wales, but lived in Sussex most of my life. I relocated here last year and can safely say the scenery has got my creative juices flowing!
    Yes, Trinity St. Davids. A long time ago.

I think a human can always build these vector images to build an impression of a place - which is always better than a photo conversion.

Stick at it!

Paul

Nicely done Chris. I like feeling of the "flow of the landscape".
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Yes, Trinity St. Davids. A long time ago.

I think a human can always build these vector images to build an impression of a place - which is always better than a photo conversion.

Stick at it!

Paul
    I agree, and as much as it kills my mouse-hand doing these, I like knowing it's an actual 'hand-crafted' piece as opposed to the result of a filter or plugin. I will stick at it. I have another piece that is nearly finished. Hopefully will post it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Duke View Post
    Nicely done Chris. I like feeling of the "flow of the landscape".
    Thanks, Ron. I really appreciate that comment as I was aiming for a flowing feeling. On my first pass, I used the shape painter and made it too busy and didn't like it. So second time round, I opted for less detail and more clean lines. It seems less is more with these images.

Beautiful, Chris. Reminds me of Paul Nash - there's an exhibition of his work opening this week at Tate Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny O'Rorke View Post
    Beautiful, Chris. Reminds me of Paul Nash - there's an exhibition of his work opening this week at Tate Britain.
    Thank you. That's interesting. From what I can see on Google, his images convey the scars of war. I'm trying to convey the beauty of Wales with my vector images - but I do like to draw the old decaying, overgrown buildings in pen and ink!