Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to correct problems with Pasteboard background?

I have a bit of a dilemma with a 20-page site I'm developing. I've added some text elements to the footer of the home page and set them to repeat on all pages. They work fine on the home page.

But when I view any of the other pages, the elements are behind the footer rectangle (that I put in at the start) and do not display ... even when previewed.

If I go to any individual page and "bring the individual elements to front", they display fine. But that leaves 18 more pages to fix. Plus, if I later decide to rework the footer, it will involve a LOT of editing.

How can I cause all the pages to get the same elements and ordering that the home page has?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB BG.PNG 
Views:	84 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	114646

Default Re: How to correct problems with Pasteboard background?

Well, I want to post what I tried ... that almost worked. Maybe someone can tell me how to make an adjustment.

First, I grouped all of the elements on the home page Pasteboard Layer.
    Then I copied (ctrl+v) the group and saved it in another project for safe keeping.
    Next, I deleted each element in the Pasteboard Layer and selected "delete from all pages". Afterwards, no page had a pasteboard layer.
    Then I created a pasteboard layer in the home page by dragging white to the background.
    Lastly, I pasted (ctrl+c) the group into the Pasteboard Layer of the home page.

That created Pasteboard Layers for all pages, with the group in the layer for each page.

The problems are 1) the pasted layer is different, somehow, and it in front of the page background, not behind it ... and 2) the footer elements are not at the bottom of any page whose length is greater that the length of the home page. (BTW, the capture below shows the pasteboard layer after I manually moved in down on the second page.)

Anyone have a suggestion of how to make this work? ... or maybe a different idea?

Name:	Almost worked.PNG 
Views:	66 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	114647

What worked (sort of): Paste Pasteboard background

After deleting the background layer from each of 19 pages, I used Copy Pasteboard background to pick up the layer from the home page. I then used the simple Ctrl+V to paste it into each of 19 pages. It "pasted in place", thankfully ... since the actual Paste In Place choice was grayed out (why?). I tested a few of the pages and everything looks fine (except on longer pages, where the footer is too high). The edge-to-edge rectangles work properly.

What didn't work: Paste Pasteboard background on all pages

Technically, it did paste. But the vertical position was way down the page (top centered?). It's just not practical to try to adjust the height 19 times ... and then correct any misses. I hope Xara has fixed this in recent releases. (Reminder: I'm using X9 Pro.)

I'm still at a loss on how to edit the elements in my footer area. I suppose I can delete 19, paste 19, again ... although this seems silly to have to use the software that way.

Again, I'm open for a better idea. Anyone?

Name:	Worked Sort Of.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	114648

Contours.... just reading your first post...

Why are all these elements on the 'Pasteboard Background'? They should be on 'other' layers. Just use the pasteboard background for what is supposed to be..... a 'background'.
    I would just leave the two 'special' layers... page background and pasteboard background for the stated purpose.... backgrounds.

And one more thought.... unless you have special graphics you want to use for backgrounds, you really never have to go near those layers. If you just want a color for either background layer, just drag a color over it.

Hope some of this helps a bit.

Cliff

Thanks for your response.
    Why are all these elements on the 'Pasteboard Background'?
    First and foremost, edge-to-edge graphics are only supported in the Pasteboard background. I use them for the site's header and footer (as is fairly common, today). When I began investigating and testing, I couldn't find any clear reasons why other elements can't be defined in that layer IF they are the same on every page. Further, having them there helps declutter the MouseOff layer and unifies the elements of a common footer, for example.

That about sums up my reasoning. But some of these uses are new to me and I would appreciate knowing of some good examples.