Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I guess i could take a shot at the sculpting guys, hehee. That's the toughest and most time consuming part huh? Doh! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Gary, can you post a zipped file here containing high-res versions of the AI files? C4D can import AI files so that should be ok for any of us using that app.

I'd like to be in but i'm not up on any of these programs I think.

Sharon P.
    www.fischerpassmoredesign.com

...ok so...

If we're into doing this "party-project"... and i'm taking on the sculpting aspects... then this is what i have done thus far.

I think i just need to add some kind of a breast plate to 'em, and maybe a few other tweaks. It's not EXACTLY like the one Gary did, but that's ok isn't it? I can adjust things if it's not.

Does this look ok folks? Can i pass off the .obj files to the next bloke when i'm done the breast plate?

Let me know!
    And let me know too if ya think i should, or need to add anything else to 'em.

PS: the person doing the texturing can make any parts they want glass, metal, plastic, etc. I made things look solid here just because... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toy_robot.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	19082  

I'd also like to help, but I have no modeling programs! that sucks! I could help Ross with the texture maybe? Or I could come up with a design concept for the bot. Mark already has a good one though! Anyway I can help, just ask

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Okay, look--

Yes, we need textures, yes we need other things in the foreground besides the windup toy. Is this an indoor tabletop or outdoors scene? I'm going to let the texsturing and rendering people in on this one.

I think the picture of the robot looks cool right now, but needs a lot of modeling detail. His head is glass, so we should see some eyes and a brain in there, like "Forbidden Planet", you know?

Attached here are the ai files. BTW, ai files are vectors, so resolution is irrelevant. It's only when you use bitmap (placeable) EPS that resolution matters Perhaps that should be a discussion topic, 'cause it took me 2 years to dicover the diff between interpreted (parsable) and placeable EPS files, of which AI files are a superset (they have more custom propoerties).

By the way, I suggest so we have no cross-platform problems, that we all meet in Bryce once the model(s) are done, no?

Gare

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

Hey--

Sharon,

You couild easily help by modeling books or trees or something that can be used as a foreground environment for the droid in DREAM, and then pass it off to Mark in DXF or OBJ format.

Ross and Steve---TexturExperts! Why not coordinate with Sharon on what textures she will need for foreground objects.

We also need BRAINWORK ! What goes into this scene? Earl will need to know that! Kiwi, can you "ride herd" ove the making of a collaborative effort, just like they do at ILM and PIXAR. What is the point of the robot? Does the scene need a child's hand reaching in to pick it up? Is the droid doomed to fall off a tabletop? Is is shiney or eroded, and what in the scene would indicate how it got that way!

THINK "STORY" folks, and don't be afraid to talk to one another. This might seem like a nice, goof-around exercise, but it is not! It's practicing to fit into a group of modelers and animators like in the real world! We should learn here how to cooperate to make a kick-ass image.

OR...ya want this to be an animation? Let's keep thinking as we progress.

Kindest Regards,

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

Although I do not want to hinder indep[endent creative process(es), Mark, I'm attaching a DXF of the robot I bulit...to give you IDEAS, AND NOT to crimp your imagination or direct you, okay?

Please glean what you can, and probably put a stupid decal of dials and knobs on his chest or something, no?

It's a toy robot, and we don't know what it is doing 'cause no one has volunteered that yet.

Perhaps he's coming out of a box. In which case Ross and Steve whould need to design the box (probably use XARA)?

This is WIDE OPEN, folks. Contribute, contribute. First prize is a trip to PIXAR (I'm kidding, but you know the kind of spirit I mean

Gare

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

Mark--I'm emailing you the robot dxf file, 'cause the forum only allows 300KB uploads.

Hasn't infopop heard of cable modems? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Gary

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

Are we going to animate this thing? I think that which foreground objects will be important if the robot is walking on them or tripping over them.

Sharon P.
    www.fischerpassmoredesign.com

Ok how about Robot on big adventure walking through the desert,desert I can handle.

Stu.