Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help with Popup on Home Page....

Hello everyone, and thank you in advance to anyone that can offer me assistance in this.

I think what I am trying to do is pretty basic, and i'll probably smack myself up the head after someone tells me, but....

I am trying to put an image/jpeg graphic on the homepage so when the site opens, it's there, instant is fine, slight delay is fine, but then I want it to have the X to close it. I know how to do the pop up on a layer, where you click or mouse over an object and the popup appears, and you click to close, but I'm having trouble with the item just "being there" when the site opens, and then the visitor can click it to close.

A little background, it's a performing arts school, and I had the issue a couple days ago with needing a weather closure statement to pop-up in the center of the page, big and bold, and then click to close. Now they want to have a Halloween Party Promo do the same thing...it's a promo they want right in everyone's face as soon as you open the site, then click to get it outta there.

I have attached a screen shot.

Again I thank you in advance for your time...I did search the forum but couldn't find an answer to my problem.

Tazz
    Using: Xara Designer Pro X

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IA Screen Shot 1.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	247.6 KB 
ID:	114599

Default Re: Help with Popup on Home Page....

Hi Tazz, look at the attached, something like this?

Ciao

Roly
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by roly; 11 October 2016 at 05:17 PM. Reason: forgot to put in attachment

Tazz, cheat.

Clone your home page.
    On you actual home page, put the splashy picture on the MouseOff layer.
    Add a X close symbol from the Font Awesome symbols.
    Add a click link to the cloned home page.

All done.

For others who may wish to develop the approach.

You could add another click link on the image to another page.
    You could change all your Home links to Cloned Home page so the image is a one off splash that only happens on first site access.
    You could add a variety of Web Animations.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Roly...thank you for your reply.

No, that's not what i'm looking for. I need the graphic to be closed entirely! So when you go to the site, the image appears on the home page, you can look at it read it, blah blah blah and when done, click the X or close button and it disappears totally off the page. I have seen it in the past on websites, usually on sites that will display something like a temporary holiday closure schedule, etc.

I just can't figure it out. If you can make a popup that is triggered by an object and you can hit the little x in the corner and it closes, why can't you just have a popup appear (like an animation fading in) and "x" close it.

There has to be a simple way...I'm just not seeing it.

Thank you though for your sample and efforts!!!

Tazz

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Tazz, cheat.

Clone your home page.
    On you actual home page, put the splashy picture on the MouseOff layer.
    Add a X close symbol from the Font Awesome symbols.
    Add a click link to the cloned home page.

All done.

For others who may wish to develop the approach.

You could add another click link on the image to another page.
    You could change all your Home links to Cloned Home page so the image is a one off splash that only happens on first site access.
    You could add a variety of Web Animations.

Acorn
    Hi Acorn, I have learned many things from you over the years and thank you, Xara guru. haha
    I again thank you for your reply here. So, I think i'm following...basically when a visitor hits the close button, they are closing the entire homepage, but not realizing because an exact duplicate of the homepage MINUS the centered splash image is laying underneath? So it gives the appearance of only the splash image as closing?

Why can't I just have an animated image fade in, instantly appear, or slide in from top, bottom or wherever, and have a little X to close it when I'm done reading it...seems like a basic function but am I asking too much? LOL

I might have to give your cheat a try as there doesn't seem like another way!

Thank you again,
    Tazz

Info Re: Help with Popup on Home Page....

Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Why can't I just have an animated image fade in, instantly appear, or slide in from top, bottom or wherever, and have a little X to close it when I'm done reading it...seems like a basic function but am I asking too much? LOL Tazz
    Yes, far too much!

Create a Layer (!splash) and put your image in it.
    Create a button or shape with a link to !splash - Fade In, 5 seconds, untick Close pop-up automatically.
    Give the same a Name of showSplash.

Now in !splash add a shape with Placeholder code body of:
    Code:
    <script>  eval($('#showSplash').parent().attr('href'));
    </script>
    For safety, I also added the Name usesJQuery​ but it seems to be fine without.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

WOW Acorn, that's brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by siran View Post
    WOW Acorn, that's brilliant.
    siran, part of this is your code!

Acorn

Not really. At least I don't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by siran View Post
    Not really. At least I don't remember.
    Well we "collaborated" in http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...714#post553714,
    Acorn